Violence Erupts on Eve of Zimbabwe Referendum

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Suspected supporters of Zimbabwe's veteran leader Robert Mugabe were accused of attacking members of the main opposition party Friday, heightening tensions on the eve of a key constitutional referendum.

Seven members from Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai's Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) were assaulted as they were putting up posters in Harare's oldest township of Mbare, urging voters to approve the proposed constitution in Saturday's vote.

"The attacks are a clear testimony that ZANU-PF wants to embark on acts of violence," said MDC spokesman Douglas Mwonzora, referring to Mugabe's party.

The new constitution would lay the groundwork for watershed elections due in July that would end an often acrimonious power-sharing deal between Mugabe and his rival Tsvangirai.

Although the draft has the backing of both the 89-year-old Mugabe and Tsvangirai and is expected to pass easily, tensions between supporters of the two main parties are seething after a series of bloody elections in the crisis-weary country.

Two of the seven MDC members were seriously wounded in the attack in Mbare and parliament candidate Sten Zvorwadza was hit in the neck with a bottle and punched, he said.

A BBC crew filming the campaign said it was also attacked.

The newly appointed head of the Zimbabwe Electoral Commission (ZEC) Rita Makarau on Friday urged a peaceful vote.

"Please go and vote peacefully, this is our supreme law," Makarau said.

Police however said the incident was staged, questioning why it was not reported to authorities.

"This is clear testimony of a dramatised incident to provoke the anger of the residents and then they begin to tarnish the image of the country. This is quite disturbing. It's unfair," police spokesman Oliver Mandipaka told AFP.

Tsvangirai has been criss-crossing the southern African nation to drum up support for the constitution which took some three years to draft.

-- 'Society must be reconciled' --

On Friday he asked religious leaders to pray for the country, once one of the richest in Africa but whose fortunes have sunk.

"It is your responsibility... this society needs to be reconciled," Tsvangirai said. "If we are going to have freedom in this country, we must work for it."

The new constitution would decentralise power and limit Mugabe -- and any subsequent presidents -- to two five year terms. However Mugabe would be eligible to stay in power until 2023, when he would be 99 years old.

Tsvangirai's MDC has highlighted constitutional clauses guaranteeing protection against all forms of violence, and free and fair voting.

MDC supporters have been on the receiving end of violence blamed on activists from the Zimbabwe African National Union-Patriotic Front (ZANU-PF).

They have lauded a provision that obliges police and the military to be apolitical, raising the hopes of victims of past political violence.

"I'm hoping this new constitution will bring about change, especially in the police force. The police used to behave as if they were ZANU-PF youth activists," said 31-year-old Tendai Maritinyu, whose body bears scars of a 2006 beating.

Others are sceptical that the adoption of the constitution alone can really be a reason to celebrate, since laws are not always respected in a country where security forces act with impunity.

"It has been quiet so far because we are all agreeing to vote 'yes'. But what will happen after the referendum is our greatest fear. We are not settled because after the referendum, things might hot up," said John Munikwa, 38, a father of four who is also a victim of past violence.

ZANU-PF has focused on the "irreversibility of the land reform" campaign and "economic empowerment opportunities" in pushing for a "yes" vote on the constitution.

The National Constitutional Assembly, a non-governmental grouping, wants to see the new constitution rejected, arguing that if anything it grants Mugabe more unfettered powers than before.

"This draft constitution is an insult to the people," Assembly leader Lovemore Madhuku told reporters.

The draft puts improvements in human rights to the fore, along with freedom of the press and gender equality. It also guarantees free, fair and regular elections, and for citizens to freely make political choices.

But observers fear there will not be sufficient time to apply all the necessary reforms to ensure a healthier political environment before the next elections, expected in June or July.

Others complain there was not enough time to debate and digest the text, leaving many to just vote for a document they know little about.

"The fast-track adoption of the draft by parliament without substantive debate... raises concerns and questions about the democratic and popular nature of scrutiny," said Andrew Makoni, a human rights lawyer.

Source : Sapa-AFP /mml/ks
Date : 15 Mar 2013 20:29

killadoob

Honorary Master
France needs to arm the opposition like they are doing in syria, o wait.... this is africa nobody really cares.

Granted arming the rebels is a terrible idea in syria but in zimbabwe it's about time france, US etc perhaps focus on trying to help people in a manner that will work. 100 US troops some arms and boom mugabe is gone. Any benefit for them trying to help zimbabwe? Nope so i guess possibly the worst president i have ever seen stays in power while countries are being torn apart by civil war when it fits into the agenda's of the top dogs.

Now if the US invaded zim or helped overthrow him, i would be pro US or pro west but we all know unless there is something on offer or someone they want gone they will go for it. Help zimbabwe which would be easy. No crazy muslims to deal with, the enemy is easy to take out but sadly he gets supported by african presidents. It would be so nice to see the tops dogs do something and spend a few billion on a cause that benefits them in no way :(. I would put on poms poms and gooi a few USA USA dance moves :D. They don't like dictators, they dislike abuse of human rights yet mugabe wins every election with violence and cheating. Geez let chavez or putin win an election and people freak out. Sadly the world is run by people who thrive on chaos and they will spend trillions achieving their goals, helping people they call it but mugabe sits on his perch and destroys a country. Mali gets over run the french go fight, i know the history and blah blah but FK me when will someone do something good and remove mugabe, china, russia, US are all the same except russia and china don't cry about dictators and humans rights while supporting people who are dictators and abuse human rights.

Spend 3 trillion in iraq and make it worse yea baby, spend 5 billion removing mugabe hmmm no they might lose some troops. About time the zimbabwe people stand up and fight, o wait most of them are in SA :D

Last edited:

Ou grote

Honorary Master
Not that I have any idea why you want bob removed as he is a democratically elected leader ( verified by international election officials ) , he's backed by the AU , but ....
Any reason why china and Russia don't remove Mugabe?

Don't know if you noticed, but Mekhi and Zuma are 100% behind bob, so they'll have to take us out too.

killadoob

Honorary Master
Not that I have any idea why you want bob removed as he is a democratically elected leader ( verified by international election officials ) , he's backed by the AU , but ....

Don't know if you noticed, but Mekhi and Zuma are 100% behind bob, so they'll have to take us out too.

I mentioned both china and russia are just as bad, the difference is they do not carry on about dictators and human rights while supporting dictators. So i know it isn't just the US and co who can make a difference but they use those excuses to generate war. China and russia are not accusing countries of one thing while supporting that same thing in another country. If the US just stopped lying and trying to look like heroes they would have more support, they are trying to help people by creating wars. They should just say we removed him because he isn't good, then again are there any good people running this planet? Not that i can see.

Sadly alf we are forced to live in a world run by greed and power hungry people and we cannot do anything about it sadly. Don't think for one second i think china and russia are good and the US are bad, they are all bad but to me the worst bad people are the ones who claim to be the good guys and try make out like they are saving people out the goodness of their heart.

The scary thing alf is that the entire planet knows mugabe wins elections with violence and rigging, it isn't like chavez or putin where it might be a possibility with him it is a fact but you are right he does have support but that is purely because the leaders know if mugabe is removed what would stop those same people removing them so they back him to protect themselves.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/jul/04/zimbabwe1

Sadly you do have a point, it would not surprise me if he has won fairly before. Look at the anc, no matter what they do the majority will vote for them but the difference between sa black folk and zimbabwean is that zimbabwe had a very good education system, most of the zim people i have met hate mugabe and they talk english well. If you are looking for people to work for you, stay away from SA's and hire the zimbo's. Granted you can't if it is a permanent position but for gardening, filing, cleaning and odd jobs they are educated and they won't moan when you pay them 150 rand a day. SA guys want 150 plus taxi money plus lunch and they work slow. Out of all the domestics in my family we have 5 that have been caught stealing, all 100% home grown. Most of the family i see often have a Zimbabwean working for them. Trustworthy, hard working and they don't have that you owe me something attitude.

So i cannot see how on earth mugabe is winning elections fairly in a country that had good education before 2000. I have yet to meet or hire a Zimbabwean that was lazy and expected more money than i was offering. We often need 5-8 people extra a week depending on the work load and they are all from Lesotho and zimbabwe, they don't sit and chat all day. They are glad and happy to work for 150 a day with no lunch, they bring their own. Perhaps i am wrong but from my point of view before mugabe decided zim must die the population was well educated and spoke very good english, i really doubt the 3-7 million zimbo's in this country would vote for mugabe, there is only one way he can win. Violence, rigging. I can understand the anc winning due to our past and it will take another generation to move on but i think everyone knows mugabe never wins fairly.

http://www.frontline.org.za/index.p...tid=16:political-social-issues-cat&Itemid=201

Doesn't sound fair to me, it is rigged and sadly the only people who can help are too busy causing civil unrest in countries they have interests in. Note i am not excluding china or russia, they are not angels but they know backing the rebels in libya was not good and they know doing it again in syria will end just as poorly. Mugabe sits and has a fabulous time, gets aid, support by other presidents who worry if he goes so will they. Sadly good guys would be removing mugabe, then moving in places like darfur and other bad african countries. Look at france they went into mali because they know extremists are going to take over, yet they know extremists will take over in syria but they arm and train them. So the world is just fked up alf. So sad that humans cannot believe in each other and live each day trying to be the best human they can be. If every single person believed only in their fellow man i think the world would be very different. Governments would operate to enrich the people. Sadly i think that is a fantasy and humans seem hell bent on killing each other, religion, resources, power, money, greed. Any excuse for power, one thing i love about the jews in this country and even the muslims is they look after each other, that is the reason there is no radical people from either side. Peaceful folk who live together and look after their own kind. Imagine a planet run by people who care about each other, 7 billion people all trying to help, instead we sit with horrific people who will wage war, lie to get war, kill innocents and call it collateral damage. Then you have people who go out of their way to kill innocent people. Make love not war FFS, well. If the jews and muslims from SA ran the world there would be peace. Even the english people in this country are mostly out for themselves, not sure about the Afrikaners but i know jews and muslims are a tightly knit group who help each other thrive and survive. That is what our planet needs.

Excuse the long post, bored, waiting for the GP quali :D. Must proof read first. I hope alf we can have a discussion without any nonsense bro.

Last edited:

Ou grote

Honorary Master
I mentioned both china and russia are just as bad, the difference is they do not carry on about dictators and human rights while supporting dictators. So i know it isn't just the US and co who can make a difference but they use those excuses to generate war. China and russia are not accusing countries of one thing while supporting that same thing in another country. If the US just stopped lying and trying to look like heroes they would have more support, they are trying to help people by creating wars. They should just say we removed him because he isn't good, then again are there any good people running this planet? Not that i can see.

Sadly alf we are forced to live in a world run by greed and power hungry people and we cannot do anything about it sadly. Don't think for one second i think china and russia are good and the US are bad, they are all bad but to me the worst bad people are the ones who claim to be the good guys and try make out like they are saving people out the goodness of their heart.

The scary thing alf is that the entire planet knows mugabe wins elections with violence and rigging, it isn't like chavez or putin where it might be a possibility with him it is a fact but you are right he does have support but that is purely because the leaders know if mugabe is removed what would stop those same people removing them so they back him to protect themselves.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/jul/04/zimbabwe1

Sadly you do have a point, it would not surprise me if he has won fairly before. Look at the anc, no matter what they do the majority will vote for them but the difference between sa black folk and zimbabwean is that zimbabwe had a very good education system, most of the zim people i have met hate mugabe and they talk english well. If you are looking for people to work for you, stay away from SA's and hire the zimbo's. Granted you can't if it is a permanent position but for gardening, filing, cleaning and odd jobs they are educated and they won't moan when you pay them 150 rand a day. SA guys want 150 plus taxi money plus lunch and they work slow. Out of all the domestics in my family we have 5 that have been caught stealing, all 100% home grown. Most of the family i see often have a Zimbabwean working for them. Trustworthy, hard working and they don't have that you owe me something attitude.

So i cannot see how on earth mugabe is winning elections fairly in a country that had good education before 2000. I have yet to meet or hire a Zimbabwean that was lazy and expected more money than i was offering. We often need 5-8 people extra a week depending on the work load and they are all from Lesotho and zimbabwe, they don't sit and chat all day. They are glad and happy to work for 150 a day with no lunch, they bring their own. Perhaps i am wrong but from my point of view before mugabe decided zim must die the population was well educated and spoke very good english, i really doubt the 3-7 million zimbo's in this country would vote for mugabe, there is only one way he can win. Violence, rigging. I can understand the anc winning due to our past and it will take another generation to move on but i think everyone knows mugabe never wins fairly.

http://www.frontline.org.za/index.p...tid=16:political-social-issues-cat&Itemid=201

Doesn't sound fair to me, it is rigged and sadly the only people who can help are too busy causing civil unrest in countries they have interests in. Note i am not excluding china or russia, they are not angels but they know backing the rebels in libya was not good and they know doing it again in syria will end just as poorly. Mugabe sits and has a fabulous time, gets aid, support by other presidents who worry if he goes so will they. Sadly good guys would be removing mugabe, then moving in places like darfur and other bad african countries. Look at france they went into mali because they know extremists are going to take over, yet they know extremists will take over in syria but they arm and train them. So the world is just fked up alf. So sad that humans cannot believe in each other and live each trying to be the best human they can be. If every single person believe only in their fellow man i think the world would be very different. Governments would operate to enrich the people. Sadly i think that is a fantasy and humans seem hell bent on killing each other, religion, resources, power, money, greed. Any excuse for power, one things i love about the jews in this country and even the muslims is they look after each other, that is the reason there is no radical people from either side. Peaceful folk who live together and look after their own kind. Imagine a planet run people who care about each other, 7 billion people all trying to help, instead we sit with horrific people who will wage war, lie to get war, kill innocents and call collateral damage. Then you have people who go out of their way to kill innocent people. Make love not war FFS, well

Excuse the long post, bored, waiting for the GP quali :D. Must proof read first. I hope alf we can have a discussion without any nonsense bro.

I think you can work out that whoever replaces bob, will do exactly the same as he did.

So pointless removing him.

Better the devil you know...

And btw, bob did raise a few good points about how the poms brokes a few promises etc.
The poms do have a habit of cocking up.
They cocked up badly in Israel and Kashmir in particular.

killadoob

Honorary Master
I'm surprised :rolleyes:

How awesome would it be for a UN or NATO party to roll into zim. Patrol, count votes and ensure it's free and fair. Instead violence intimidation, food offerings and thousands of dead people voting helps mugabe. how on earth they manage to get so many dead to wake up and cast a vote is beyond me, i am sure mugabe can explain how dead people rise and vote :D.

killadoob

Honorary Master
I think you can work out that whoever replaces bob, will do exactly the same as he did.

So pointless removing him.

Better the devil you know...

And btw, bob did raise a few good points about how the poms brokes a few promises etc.

Can you think of bigger cock up than removing all the white farmers and replacing them people who have no idea how to farm thus ensuring the country is fked?

MickeyD

RIP
And this is the one that was published... I'd bet my house that there are far more incidents, mostly of a violent nature!

b@nD

Banned
"Cocking Up" ..........

Please explain ........

On November 2, 1917, the British government expressed its sympathy with Jewish Zionist aspirations and announced that it would use its “best endeavors” to facilitate “the establishment in Palestine of a national home for the Jewish people.” The announcement came in a letter from Foreign Secretary Arthur James Balfour to Lord Rothschild, the unofficial leader of the British Jewish community. The Balfour declaration became the diplomatic foundation stone of the state of Israel; it is considered the original sin by Israel’s opponents.

Book Review here --> "THE BALFOUR DECLARATION The Origins of the Arab-Israeli Conflict" By Jonathan Schneer

After Allenby marched into Jerusalem after the defeat of the Turks and the breakup of the OTTOMAN Empire

Sir Edmund Allenby on the Fall of Jerusalem, 9 December 1917

The "Poms" were busy getting killed and blown up by IRGUN terrorists in Israel.

Mandatory Palestine

List of IRGUN Attacks

The Sergeants affair

July 2, 1946: The King David Hotel in Jerusalem was bombed. Killing 91 people

OK

Can we now start talking about "Terrorists" -- and "cocked up "Poms"

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
^^^

Could we request that you attempt to write posts in a normal form of English with less links to random crap that nobody cares about?

Voicy

Honorary Master

Not quite. He was outvoted by the MDC but refused to remove himself from office - the quiet diplomacy of Thabo Mbeki suggested that instead of continuing to fight, they instead appoint the rightful president Morgan Tvangarai as the prime minister and Bob take on a ceremonial presidency seat. - Which of course meant nothing changed.

b@nD

Banned
Random

^^^
Could we request that you attempt to write posts in a normal form of English with less links to random crap that nobody cares about?
"YOU" speak for "EVERYBODY" now ?

"randon crap"
Perhaps in your little world ......????? ( be sure to inform those that try to keep Wikipedia alive )
but
Please -- request away :D