Virgin Mobile brand is leaving South Africa, customers can migrate penalty-free

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Virgin Mobile pulls out of South Africa

South Africa's first mobile virtual network operator (MVNO), Virgin Mobile, has announced it will stop operating under its current name at the end of November 2021 and move from a consumer-focused business to an MVNO-enabler.

The operator expects its 10-month business rescue process to be concluded by the end of September.

G.A.S

I was with them for a number of years shortly after they opened as their prepaid offering at the time was superior to most of the others (I think it was 99c/min for calls, per second, and 50c/MB).

However, the lack of reception (and 3G!) ultimately made me change back to my previous provider; and prepaid tariffs got a lot better in general since then (less than 99c/min), as did VOIP (WhatsApp or otherwise).

Overall though, I'm not really sure what the value proposition of a MVNO is anymore as they cannot bring anything different to the table...

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
I was with them for a number of years shortly after they opened as their prepaid offering at the time was superior to most of the others (I think it was 99c/min for calls, per second, and 50c/MB).

However, the lack of reception (and 3G!) ultimately made me change back to my previous provider; and prepaid tariffs got a lot better in general since then (less than 99c/min), as did VOIP (WhatsApp or otherwise).

Overall though, I'm not really sure what the value proposition of a MVNO is anymore as they cannot bring anything different to the table...
My MVNO gives me R100 (2 sim cards (R50 per sim)) in airtime for free every month.

G.A.S

My MVNO gives me R100 (2 sim cards (R50 per sim)) in airtime for free every month.
OK, seems like there are still some that does. Was not aware of them...

If I may ask, what is the per-minute call rate? And data costs? And on which network do they run?

randomcat

Expert Member
0b444d98434698f722c5d3d2b24de9f1.jpg

Solitude

Executive Member
I actually forgot they existed.

Used them a long time ago when they were very cheap. Can't really remember why I moved to something else.