Virgin Mobile South Africa launches 3G HSPA+ broadband service

Do you think Virgin Mobile's HSPA+ broadband offering adds value to the market?

• Yes

Votes: 34 42.0%
  • No

Votes: 47 58.0%

• Total voters

Buzybuy

Dealer
Virgin will need to compete better than that considering the launch of Red Bull mobile

Obronie

Times have changed. We are used to measuring mobile data in Gigs not MB's. But hopefully they will come with some better offers, still Cell C remains untouchable. We just need to continue to spread the word to non-techies that this aggressive Cell C pricing pays off and not the amount of advertising

Last edited:

Antonf

Expert Member
Virgin Mobile added that they are not changing their “very competitive data pricing” of 60c per MB.

“We look forward to being a significant player in the South African mobile broadband market“, said Steve Bailey, CEO, Virgin Mobile.
Will someone tell this guy that it is still six weeks to the 1st of April!
@RPM: Are you sure he didn't mean 6c per MB?

Last edited:

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Virgin Moble = R360.00 for 600Megs
Vodacom = R185.00 for 600Megs.

tsk tsk tsk.

Sodan

Expert Member
It's a start. Nothing to get excited about, but perhaps something to keep tabs on.

We'll have to wait and see what their bundles cost.

Sodan

Expert Member
Virgin Moble = R360.00 for 600Megs
Vodacom = R185.00 for 600Megs.

tsk tsk tsk.

Care to do a VC vs Cell C 5GB pricing comparison?

I thought not.

/hands you a hanky to clean the egg off your face

BBSA

Honorary Master
It's a start. Nothing to get excited about, but perhaps something to keep tabs on.

We'll have to wait and see what their bundles cost.

Did you miss this part:

Virgin Mobile decided not to launch data bundles, and said that they allow post-paid and prepaid customers to use their airtime for calls, SMSs, MMSs or GPRS/EDGE data without having to purchase separate data bundles.

SaiyanZ

Executive Member
It is quite pricey and less value for money than the other providers. If you've got a cellphone contract with them the story changes. I am happy with what I get from Virgin Mobile, though bolt-on data bundles would be ideal.

With the other providers you get a fixed amount of airtime or data, and you've got to use exactly that every month or it's wasted. With Virgin, I get R300pm (also a free Galaxy S) to do whatever I like. One month I'd use maybe 400mb data and a few calls, the other month I'd use maybe 100mb data and make many more calls. So I basically have more control over my contract.

I end up spending just R300pm for calls and data.
With another provider, I'd get more data if I buy a bundle but I also end up spending more than R300 in total AND once I buy a bundle I'm stuck with it and cant change it back to airtime.

The new Red Bull Mobile R249 contract looks great though. Too bad you're stuck with their phone and have no options.

Sodan

Expert Member
Did you miss this part:

I was kinda referring to this part:

Virgin Mobile said that consumers can expect “low priced prepaid and post-paid modem deals” in the next few months.

I (perhaps incorrectly) inferred that the "modem deals" would include some kind of data package.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Care to do a VC vs Cell C 5GB pricing comparison?

I thought not.

/hands you a hanky to clean the egg off your face

I simply used Vodacom to show how stupid the Virgin rates are. Not to begin a Voda vs Cell C vs MTN argument again. There are other threads for that.

You welcome to do the comparison between Virgin and Cell C should you so wish.

K3NS31

Expert Member
Awesome.
You guys are forgetting that some people only use small amounts of bandwidth, especially non-contract users like myself.
I now have the best cell phone pricing in the country, I reckon (for my usage, which is low to moderate)
Own my phone, so no need to add that price in.
R 1.00 / minute calls to my most frequent contacts, who are all on Virgin (90% of my calls)
FREE SMS's, to anyone, which also helps keep my call cost down
60c per meg, out of bundle. Now you know Voda and MTN can't compare to that. What are their out of bundle rates? Not everyone wants or needs a data bundle.

Sodan

Expert Member
I simply used Vodacom to show how stupid the Virgin rates are. Not to begin a Voda vs Cell C vs MTN argument again. There are other threads for that.

You welcome to do the comparison between Virgin and Cell C should you so wish.

Aah, my apologies, I misunderstood.

But you make a good point: everyone knows VC's data prices are disgustingly expensive, so you were basically showing that Virgin's pricing is even worse than despicable Vodacom. And, in that case, you presented an excellent comparison. My apologies once again.

ps: It seems then that just as Fedex has become synonymous with "courier service", Google is synonymous with "search", Vodacom is now synonymous with "disgusting pricing". I never really thought about it that way until you implied it in your post. Well done!

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Aah, my apologies, I misunderstood.

But you make a good point: everyone knows VC's data prices are disgustingly expensive, so you were basically showing that Virgin's pricing is even worse than despicable Vodacom. And, in that case, you presented an excellent comparison. My apologies once again.

ps: It seems then that just as Fedex has become synonymous with "courier service", Google is synonymous with "search", Vodacom is now synonymous with "disgusting pricing". I never really thought about it that way until you implied it in your post. Well done!

I do no appreciate having words put into my mouth.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
We cannot comment on this has yet until virgin launches it's data packages, my guess they will undercut Cell C maybe 2 gigs for 120