Virgin Money Card for travelling

ebendl

Expert Member
Hi guys,

I have a FNB credit card which I usually use when travelling abroad. However, somebody in my office suggested that I get an additional, non VISA card (all FNB cards are VISA) to take along when I travel to the US in September. The reason for this is that if your main credit card is stolen (like what happened to him), you have a backup. He also suggested a non VISA card for the few cases where your normal card does not work for some or other reason (I've experienced this before as well). We both prefer to travel with less cash.

So I phoned FNB and they don't give non VISA cards. So I thought of taking out a Virgin Money credit card because
- they use Master Card
- they don't seem to charge any fees as long as you don't have outstanding purchases on your card
- their international charges are really cheap

The card will stay in my safe at home at all other times - only when travelling will I take it along as backup.

What do you guys think?

ebendl

Expert Member
Are there any hidden costs? Any annual fees? Or is it truly zero cost as long as you don't use the card?

Random717

Expert Member
Had mine since they launched. Only ever paid for interest charged. New cards get delivered for free when they expire. Transfers to the single recipient are free.

biena

Executive Member
Truly zero. You can use it just pay off the full amount used every month.

rorz0r

Executive Member
Also have a virgin card. Applied online in under 30 min and then just had to have my id and proof of residence on me when they delivered about 3 days after. Added vm card as a recipient on fnb and make my one recipient on vm my fnb account.

ebendl

Expert Member
Mmm, stupid online application bombed on me, told me I should contact support and now when I try again I am told I have already applied. >_< Unfortunately I didn't get a reference number yet, so I can't even continue the online one.