Virgin Money South Africa is now Spot Money

3WA

Honorary Master
“According to Spot’s schedule of fees, the only transactions that attract fees are cashing out, including ATM withdrawals and EFTs out of your account”

Cashing out to your bank account never used to have a fee in the past.

twr

Expert Member
That's crap
Yes used to be free to cash out EFT to your nominated bank.

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Cashing out to your bank account never used to have a fee in the past.
The service is a transactional bank account with an app front-end now, hence the change I expect.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
OK, but they not taking over the existing Virgin Money credit cards? Those remain with ABSA?

supersunbird

Honorary Master
OK, but they not taking over the existing Virgin Money credit cards? Those remain with ABSA?

Yes, this is something totally different and does not involve the credit cards at all beyond the fact that they shared the VM name.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Yes, this is something totally different and does not involve the credit cards at all beyond the fact that they shared the VM name.

That is a pity. Would have been nice if they did and kept the offering the same. :(

3WA

Honorary Master
The service is a transactional bank account with an app front-end now, hence the change I expect.

Yeah looks like it’s getting more features and more costs. I’m still verifying myself but I may have seen the option of depositing your salary with them.

Have to see if the new fees make it worth it for me any more.

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Absa is shutting down Virgin Money credit cards after Virgin Group divested from South Africa.

phly

Expert Member
How does this compare to an offering from say bank zero or tyme bank? I like the blockchain aspect of this.

Swa

Honorary Master
Blockchain is only tamper proof if no group has sufficient computing power to change it, just ask Ethereum Classic. People throw around the word blockchain like it means something when it's really dependent on the implementation.

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Blockchain is only tamper proof if no group has sufficient computing power to change it, just ask Ethereum Classic. People throw around the word blockchain like it means something when it's really dependent on the implementation.
To my understanding, it's not a public blockchain. It's modeled on the Project Khokha pilot that the Reserve Bank ran a while ago.

Reactions: Swa

Dups!

Expert Member
I am going to patent the word "disrupt," seems such a convenient word to use even if something doesn't really apply to it.

mr_norris

Expert Member
I am going to patent the word "disrupt," seems such a convenient word to use even if something doesn't really apply to it.
They disrupted my Virgin money credit card :'( RIP 2008 - 2020 #NeverForget

But otherwise, I agree with you. Another app that lets you pay. I get that they have a rewards system of sorts, but another payment app is the last thing we need IMO

Bruinbeer

They said the creditcard will
My virgin money creditcard is still working the same. Also did not receive any communication on closure or migration for change of fees.
They said it will shutdown end of December 2020. Its now 17 January 2021, I'm still using mine and have not receive any communication on it from ABSA

divv

As of yesterday, I've noticed issues using my card - getting declined all over. Did a search and found this post. The last communication I had was that my card would work until it expired.
If this is the level of communication form ABSA, then I guess I really don't want to move to them...!