Virtual reality tech may make ‘going shopping’ in real life a thing of the past

Dan C

Honorary Master
Cool. Wonder if you can do some virtual shoplifting :whistling:

ellyally

Expert Member
Takes me back... many years ago, 13 or so, worked for a company who started getting their companies online. I had a wonderful plan for retail stores, instead of just click button website, I played with vrml and built demos of store layouts etc so people could walk though stores etc (like fps)... they all laughed at me saying no one would ever want to shop that way they said. Also tried to get them to install a sort of touch system on their windows, so, when stores are closed, window shoppers could touch the window and order ****... again, laughed at, no one wants to touch screens to do their shopping they said... I must stop thinking this way they said, this vr and touch stuff will never take off they said

Space_Chief

Honorary Master
Takes me back... many years ago, 13 or so, worked for a company who started getting their companies online. I had a wonderful plan for retail stores, instead of just click button website, I played with vrml and built demos of store layouts etc so people could walk though stores etc (like fps)... they all laughed at me saying no one would ever want to shop that way they said. Also tried to get them to install a sort of touch system on their windows, so, when stores are closed, window shoppers could touch the window and order ****... again, laughed at, no one wants to touch screens to do their shopping they said... I must stop thinking this way they said, this vr and touch stuff will never take off they said
It's silly I think. And it looked terrible all those years ago. When you go to a mall, the mall has to be designed the way it is. People have to go in, go out, there has to be space for people to walk past each other with trollies and kids, and there has to be space to allow people to add stock, and security at the entrance and a till point and a fitting room and a place to do returns and maybe a lift. There is no need for that virtually. You can just have everything in menus/categories like on Amazon.com with images, sound clips and video clips.

The only thing you can't get around online is fitting. You cannot fit clothing or see how good you look in it or not. Virtual reality will not fix that. You cannot smell the perfume. The assistant can't do a woman's mascara. All these online VR tricks are only tricks and only fool those more interested in the technology than actual products.

I honestly don't see the point of VR shopping. Yes maybe for those who are ONLY used to physical shopping but these are older people who will also suck at this.