Visionary or looney? Zuckerberg goes on a spending spree

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
I would agree with both these. The first one points to the service model Facebook needs to enter, the second to the successor of the smartphone.

The numbers are staggering though.

icyrus

Executive Member
I guess Zuckerberg believes Facebook's stock is overvalued.

Keegan

Expert Member
He knows Facebook wouldn't last very long,
Needs to look at other prospects...

MartyMarts

Spontaneous Interruption
He knows Facebook wouldn't last very long,
Needs to look at other prospects...

I'm thinking the same thing. Isn't he also paying mostly with fb stock? Maybe those billions in fb stock will only be worth millions in the near future.

RaptorSA

Executive Member
A "visionary" doesn't blow 203,408,300,000.00 Rand on a pre-existing little phone utility that's as irreplaceable as a bar of soap.
The guy's just a developer dweeb that created the right product/website at the right time. He's just dipping his fingers in everything that might become the "next big thing".

That 19Billion could have spawned hundreds of internal projects and created a ton of jobs...
Lame.

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
A "visionary" doesn't blow 203,408,300,000.00 Rand on a pre-existing little phone utility that's as irreplaceable as a bar of soap.
The guy's just a developer dweeb that created the right product/website at the right time. He's just dipping his fingers in everything that might become the "next big thing".

That 19Billion could have spawned hundreds of internal projects and created a ton of jobs...
Lame.
So what large acquisitions or investments in large-scale job creation have you made lately with the money you made by building a company up from scratch?

RaptorSA

Executive Member
So what large acquisitions or investments in large-scale job creation have you made lately with the money you made by building a company up from scratch?

Oh, beeeeeljons! I just don't want you to know you're actually working for me... ;)

Keegan

Expert Member
I'm thinking the same thing. Isn't he also paying mostly with fb stock? Maybe those billions in fb stock will only be worth millions in the near future.

Definitely, Spend them fast while the value high.

HideInLight

Expert Member
It's interesting to note how all these can be combined.

Having the Rift on isolates one from the world, now people might be able to send WhatsApp messages to that person while he's playing. And the person in the rift might be able to bring up a kind of virtual keyboard in front of him to reply that that said message.

Seriously

Honorary Master

Having the Rift on isolates one from the world, now people might be able to send WhatsApp messages to that person while he's playing. And the person in the rift might be able to bring up a kind of virtual keyboard in front of him to reply that that said message.

Why reply with a keyboard if you can greet the man by hand "virtually"? ;)

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert

This company was not bought for anything to do with gaming. VR will be mainstream in the next 20 years and Facebook is positioning themselves.

battletoad

Expert Member
Diversifying. Neither visionary nor looney, simply playing it safe on tech that Microsoft, Sony and others are getting into making most of the noise in silicon valley wrt "new" developments.

And if you think about it, from reviews it seems the technology behind it is coming to a point of maturing just enough to make it, i.e. input lag, throughput.

RyanPCMR

Expert Member
Oh, beeeeeljons! I just don't want you to know you're actually working for me... ;)

If you have a Vodacom contract or prepaid sim then he is actually working for you. Guess some people forget who their real investors are.

Messugga

Honorary Master
If you have a Vodacom contract or prepaid sim then he is actually working for you. Guess some people forget who their real investors are.

What is going on in your life that you're reviving a four year old thread at 2AM, with a comment such as this?