• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • Win an Amazon Echo Dot in this two-day giveaway - Enter Here

Vista Login Issue

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
Well vista has been good to me so far but it has just developed this issue although not debilitating once passed will kill me slowly in the future.

Basically when i login it takes almost 3-5 min for it to go from the enter password through welcome screen and then to the desktop. Now this is annoying in that it used to take like 10sec. I didn't change anything and if i log out and back in after the first login since boot up there is no issue. I did find this in event manager.

Log Name: Application
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Winlogon
Date: 2007/11/30 07:50:23 PM
Event ID: 6000
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Horny
Description:
The winlogon notification subscriber <GPClient> was unavailable to handle a notification event.

and

Date: 2007/11/30 07:54:27 PM
Event ID: 6005
Description:
The winlogon notification subscriber <Profiles> is taking long time to handle the notification event (Logon).

And

Date: 2007/11/30 07:55:30 PM
Event ID: 6006
Description:
The winlogon notification subscriber <Profiles> took 122 second(s) to handle the notification event (Logon).

i have done the google thing and i just can't find an answer and the ones that are similar are PCs on a large network or part of a domain. mine is just home pc connected to a adsl router with Vista ultimate 32bit

If someone can help me fix this i will let them have me. :D

killadoob

Honorary Master
yup works for me :)

my pc boots straight into windows

no password kuk just 40 seconds of waiting till it ready :)

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
Ok you can half have me, it boots and goes right to the desktop but i can't do anything, well i can move the mouse around thats about it, for about the same amount of time as before.

killadoob

Honorary Master
how many things do you have in your startup?

i have one thing that loads which is my razor mouse software

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
antivirus and firewall. tried disabling them all and restarted but same issue. Going to do a driver update mission, if that fails reinstall :(

BiteMe

Expert Member
try this...

open command prompt (run as administrator, elevated priviliges.....)
issue the following

NETSH INTERFACE TCP GLOBAL set autotuninglevel=disabled

that should fix it for you.

if you want to undo the change (i.e. for some odd reason this doesnt help you)

NETSH INTERFACE TCP GLOBAL set autotuninglevel=normal

hope this helps

Last edited:

|tera|

Master of Messengers
How's disabling TCP autotuning going to sort out a software conflict bro? Does not compute. Maybe if he said he's getting slower internet speed than expected it might work, but not for a login issue :p

BiteMe

Expert Member
hahaha "bro".

why dont you tell me how disabling his firewall fixed a login issue. then compute how the tcp autotuning and the firewall have something in common, then come back here.
have a look at SPI and the problems it causes with tcp autotuning, and you will find the exact timeout error messages he received in event viewer.

anycase, it was just a suggestion, maybe i know something you dont, or maybe i am talking out of my ass.

Last edited:

killadoob

Honorary Master
what firewall and anti virus u using?

i'll be honest and say with vista and xp i have never used a firewall and just an anti virus with firefox

the only time i got a virus was at a lan when pork chop enabled my sharing

firewall's are over rated for a home pc, cause more harm than good

i thihnk sometimes ppl get a bit crazy and think they have nuclear info on their home pc's :)

dablakmark8

Honorary Master
have you installed the hotfixes that is recommeded in the vista sticky.Is vista updated(all kb@#&$&)to date

I never use the password logins.

i use a login (for security reasons) and i dont have any issues. the only time i have noticed a considerable length in time when it came to booting was when i had my scanner connected to the computer. for some reason it insisted that it must get this scanner all working before i could do anything. this would sometimes take up to a minute and a half :eek:

do you have any non neccessary USB devices perhaps?

Vie

How very strange, I encountered a similar problem. I didn't have an additional firewall over and above the standard windows one *cringe*. However, removing Avast solved it, but have no idea whether it was some other program that was interfering with it.