Vitamin D

SadSap

Over 200 Scientists & Doctors Call For Increased Vitamin D Use To Combat COVID-19

"The preponderance of evidence indicates that increased vitamin D would help reduce infections, hospitalizations, ICU admissions, & deaths."

"There is no need to wait for further clinical trials to increase use of something so safe, especially when remedying high rates of deficiency/insufficiency should already be a priority."

" Inadequate vitamin D is by far the most easily and quickly modifiable risk factor with abundant evidence to support a large effect. Vitamin D is inexpensive and has negligible risk compared to the considerable risk of COVID-19."

Find the letter here.

Vitamin D and Covid-19: evidence and recommendations for supplementation
Further reading on a different study here.

"Evidence linking vitamin D deficiency with COVID-19 severity is circumstantial but considerable."

"Vitamin D deficiency is readily preventable by supplementation that is very safe and cheap."

"Vitamin D supplementation at levels needed to avoid deficiency—e.g. 800–1000 international units (25 μg) vitamin D3/day—is extremely safe and typically costs no more than 10p per day."

"There seems nothing to lose and potentially much to gain by recommending vitamin D supplementation for all, e.g. at 800–1000 IU/day, making it clear that this is to help ensure immune health and not solely for bone and muscle health."

"This should be mandated for prescription in care homes, prisons and other institutions where people are likely to have been indoors for much of the time during the summer."

"People likely to be currently deficient should consider taking a higher dose, e.g. 4000 IU/day for the first four weeks before reducing to 800 IU–1000 IU/day"

zolly

Expert Member
Interestingly I just got prescribed a 50 000 IU (yes, 50k) pill to assist with possible covid related complications. One per week.

Have also seen some recommendations for K2.

WTF. I've been supplementing 1000 - 2000 IUs a day depending on how much sunshine I get. 50k! Surely that's not right?

Mr Scratch

Expert Member
Interestingly I just got prescribed a 50 000 IU (yes, 50k) pill to assist with possible covid related complications. One per week.

Have also seen some recommendations for K2.

The purple ones? Been on those on/off for a while (bi-weekly, then monthly) - good ****

saor

Honorary Master
The purple ones? Been on those on/off for a while (bi-weekly, then monthly) - good ****
Yup. Dem bad boys. Little purple smarties.

WTF. I've been supplementing 1000 - 2000 IUs a day depending on how much sunshine I get. 50k! Surely that's not right?
50 000 indeed. Prescription only (afaik). Not intended for daily use.

Mr Scratch

Expert Member
Had my pulmonologist prescribe those to me... no lie changed quality of life tremendously.

lexity

Expert Member
There is a saying... you are what you eat.

There is another saying.... it's not what you eat, but what you absorb.

The latter has been stated by those criticizing traditional vitamin supplement intake in tablet form. Mostly because they don't get properly absorbed without due attention to specific methods.

When it comes to Vitamin D, what could possibly beat a Covid-thrashing hour or 2 on the beach?

(Don't tell me... the ANC/EFF SANDF)

Mr Scratch

Expert Member
Yip that's also why you let your doctor do the talking, you do the listening and doing. There's a reason it's prescription only

Reactions: air

pb41

The purple pills with 50 000 IU's are Calciferol. I need to take a tablet weekly for an automimmune condition but have not been able to get stock since March due to the massive demand caused by Covid. At least there are alternatives like sunshine and over the counter Vit D but I don't think those sources can provide nearly enough.

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master
Over 200 Scientists & Doctors Call For Increased Vitamin D Use To Combat COVID-19

"The preponderance of evidence indicates that increased vitamin D would help reduce infections, hospitalizations, ICU admissions, & deaths."

"There is no need to wait for further clinical trials to increase use of something so safe, especially when remedying high rates of deficiency/insufficiency should already be a priority."

" Inadequate vitamin D is by far the most easily and quickly modifiable risk factor with abundant evidence to support a large effect. Vitamin D is inexpensive and has negligible risk compared to the considerable risk of COVID-19."

Find the letter here.

Vitamin D and Covid-19: evidence and recommendations for supplementation
Further reading on a different study here.

"Evidence linking vitamin D deficiency with COVID-19 severity is circumstantial but considerable."

"Vitamin D deficiency is readily preventable by supplementation that is very safe and cheap."

"Vitamin D supplementation at levels needed to avoid deficiency—e.g. 800–1000 international units (25 μg) vitamin D3/day—is extremely safe and typically costs no more than 10p per day."

"There seems nothing to lose and potentially much to gain by recommending vitamin D supplementation for all, e.g. at 800–1000 IU/day, making it clear that this is to help ensure immune health and not solely for bone and muscle health."

"This should be mandated for prescription in care homes, prisons and other institutions where people are likely to have been indoors for much of the time during the summer."

"People likely to be currently deficient should consider taking a higher dose, e.g. 4000 IU/day for the first four weeks before reducing to 800 IU–1000 IU/day"
Eff fun runs in the sun had its benifits after all.

diapason

Expert Member
The purple pills with 50 000 IU's are Calciferol. I need to take a tablet weekly for an automimmune condition but have not been able to get stock since March due to the massive demand caused by Covid. At least there are alternatives like sunshine and over the counter Vit D but I don't think those sources can provide nearly enough.
I get 5000iu D3 capsules from my local health shop.

diapason

Expert Member
Care to share what health shop, running low on my 5000iu capsules and can’t seem to find stock anywhere
The health shop in Kenilworth Centre. The brand is Metagenics 60 capsules for R150. They keep them behind the counter.