Vitamins 'may shorten your life'

Just_Ice

Executive Member
But tomorrow they will come out with a study that indicates the exact opposite!
It always happens!

Gnome

Executive Member
Vitamins are good for expensive urine (yes you have darker urine,ie more concentrated, after drinking vitamins). I've used some before, did absolutely nothing for me.

EtienneK

Expert Member
Since I've been drinking my daily dose of Vitamin C, I haven't become sick :D

Alan

Honorary Master
Since I've been drinking my daily dose of Vitamin C, I haven't become sick :D
Get out more :p

Or just take a trip to Home Affairs. That very night I went down with flu. Got splashed by water driping in the car park so for a second I thought I might have legionnaires disease :D

Hobagoas

What ever happened to "everything in moderation". People live unhealthy lifestyles and think that by popping a few vitamin pills in the morning they're good to go. Eat a halfway balanced diet...fruit...veggies...go take a walk in the sun for a few minutes each day...voila...it's all you need really (Unless you live in Finland during the winter)

psc

What ever happened to "everything in moderation". People live unhealthy lifestyles and think that by popping a few vitamin pills in the morning they're good to go. Eat a halfway balanced diet...fruit...veggies...go take a walk in the sun for a few minutes each day...voila...it's all you need really (Unless you live in Finland during the winter)
Exactly, the body was never designed for concentrated doses of anything. Bearing (sp?) in mind most vitamins/supplements are taken on an empty stomach in lieu of a meal.

gregmcc

Honorary Master
There's so many so called scientists out there - one day they day X is good for you, the next day the say X will kill you and Y is good for you. I don't believe any of the hype. Just use common sense when taking supplements.

Elfreako

Expert Member
I find Vitamin B6 helps a lot with my mood so i am on a supplement, I have heard that it is an ingredient in a lot of anti-depressants. I also take deep sea fish oil tablets as I dont eat fish, I find if I dont take them my skin becomes very dry.

mancombseepgood

Executive Member
My advice... eat fish and veggies among other things, but get fibre, etc. etc. with your vitamins - not just the vitamins. Eat less processed and modified (through heat and other processes) foods - with exception of cooking meat lol.

If it's found in nature in that form, it's good for you with a few exceptions. While you can't eat like that all the time, your staple diet should consist of fresh veg among other things, not processed stuff.

Moederloos

Honorary Master
"increased chance of dying" ? What exactly does that mean? If I have a 16% increased chance of dying, then my chance of dying is now 116%?

Makes no sense to me.

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
My advice... eat fish and veggies among other things, but get fibre, etc. etc. with your vitamins - not just the vitamins. Eat less processed and modified (through heat and other processes) foods - with exception of cooking meat lol.

If it's found in nature in that form, it's good for you with a few exceptions. While you can't eat like that all the time, your staple diet should consist of fresh veg among other things, not processed stuff.
... I'll second that.

"increased chance of dying" ? What exactly does that mean? If I have a 16% increased chance of dying, then my chance of dying is now 116%?

Makes no sense to me.
...lol, they must mean 16% sooner surely.

JayM

Expert Member
Watched this report on TV yesterday. They had someone on after it completely debunking it. I'll continue taking my vitamins because I probably don't get them from my diet.

mancombseepgood

Executive Member
Watched this report on TV yesterday. They had someone on after it completely debunking it. I'll continue taking my vitamins because I probably don't get them from my diet.
While that may improve some things, your real issue is your diet... No offence. If you are taking vitamins for longevity, then rather look at your diet as that will have a far greater effect... same goes for vitality and general well-being.

It's too easy to take vitamins... and costs too much.
If we spend more money on food (as often happens when you eat whole) we will prolly also eat less... also not such a bad thing.

JayM

Expert Member
While that may improve some things, your real issue is your diet... No offence. If you are taking vitamins for longevity, then rather look at your diet as that will have a far greater effect... same goes for vitality and general well-being.

It's too easy to take vitamins... and costs too much.
If we spend more money on food (as often happens when you eat whole) we will prolly also eat less... also not such a bad thing.
I don't really want to live past 45. I'm currently healthy, and all my readings are perfect (cholestrol, glucose, BMI, etc). Keeping a perfect diet is something that most people cannot do, so the vitamins will have to stay.

mancombseepgood

Executive Member
I don't really want to live past 45. I'm currently healthy, and all my readings are perfect (cholestrol, glucose, BMI, etc). Keeping a perfect diet is something that most people cannot do, so the vitamins will have to stay.
How old are you? Talk is cheap. Tell us this again when you are 45.
I don't disagree with you completely, I just think it's easier said than done... life changes, so do outlooks... ask anyone who knows their time is short.

JayM

Expert Member
How old are you? Talk is cheap. Tell us this again when you are 45.
I don't disagree with you completely, I just think it's easier said than done... life changes, so do outlooks... ask anyone who knows their time is short.
I'm 29. It's silver-bullet retirement plan for me thanks very much.

Crabby

Honorary Master
... Eat a halfway balanced diet...fruit...veggies...go take a walk in the sun for a few minutes each day...voila...it's all you need really (Unless you live in Finland during the winter)
Unfortunately in this day and age of processed everything, farming with pesticides, over farming etc you cannot get all your recommended vitamins and nutrients from eating only. The nutrient quality and quantity of the food we eat today is not the same as it was 20 years ago when that advice was sound.

I will always supplement along with a healthy diet and plenty of exercise. I can count on 1 hand the amount of times I was sick in the last 5 years.

Anyone who thinks a supplement will replace a balanced meal needs a straight jacket.

Of course you also need to do your research about what supplement you are taking as there are plenty of suspect companies out there.

As with everything else in life, you get what you pay for.

Vitamins are good for expensive urine (yes you have darker urine,ie more concentrated, after drinking vitamins). I've used some before, did absolutely nothing for me.
Did you stop after a week, month or year ? I didn't notice a difference till at least 6 months in.

I would think that if you have dark urine after taking vitamins, that would indicate cheap n nasty vitamins that are not being absorbed into the body optimally and over a prolonged time period. Urine is supposed to be as light as possible, the lighter, the more hydrated you are.