Voda 3G USB Modem & Software for Apple Mac OS X 10.1.2 -Solutions?

mjgjhb

Voda 3G USB Modem & Software for Apple Mac OS X 10.1.2 -Solutions?

Good day

I'm contacting you on behalf of a Vodacom customer in Johannesburg, South Africa. He is an elderly person and has asked me to assist.

We've tried finding a solution via the Voda Jhb call centre and repair shops but to no avail. We've also searched online but haven't been able to find any help.
Out of desperation we've emailed Voda UK, but are waiting on a response.

The problem is as such:

The client has an old Apple Mac iBook with operating system Mac OS X 10.1.2.
He was recently sold a contact with a 3G USB Modem (K3565), but the latest software to configure the modem to his laptop is not compatible.

1. Is there software / modems compatible with Mac OS X 10.1.2?
2. Is there anything else we need to consider with this contract considering the computer that will be used with the modem?

Please advise -you assistance will be greatly appreciated.

regards

Mike
--

Last edited:

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
Upgrade to Tiger (10.4.11) - I have an upgrade disk if you want. It'll also make his Mac a lot faster.

koffiejunkie

Executive Member
If he cannot upgrade - i.e. machine is too old, get him a 3G router. The Netgear MBR624GU is compatible with the ZTE K3565-Z. He can then connect to the router via ethernet or wireless if his Mac has it.

I don't have the particular 3G modem, but I do own this router and I can recommend it.

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN
A 3G cellphone via bluetooth might work better than anything else on that dinosaur (the term of course being relative).
Look for a Sony Ericsson circa 2005 as that was one of the few that had 3g and Mac OS drivers. If I had access to that OS I may be able to help more but alas, my last machine that ran that OS I gave away a long time ago.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
If it helps I've just installed a huawei E153 on my kid's iBook running 10.5.8 and it works just fine.

Sputnik

Are you sure it's 10.1.2? It probably won't be worth the effort. None of the modern web browsers would run on 10.1.2. OS X wasn't remotely close to usable until 10.3. On a machine that old you most likely won't have enough memory to run 10.4.11 which is the only version that my make sense.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Are you sure it's 10.1.2? It probably won't be worth the effort. None of the modern web browsers would run on 10.1.2. OS X wasn't remotely close to usable until 10.3. On a machine that old you most likely won't have enough memory to run 10.4.11 which is the only version that my make sense.
See above - I'm running 10.5.8 on a iBook. Mine's got 1.5GB of RAM in it which I think is the max.

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
Yeah it's just an old iBook that he clearly never bothered to upgrade. It will run Tiger no problem - that OS is very low on RAM & CPU requirements. As you say, OS X was quite primitive in the beginning. Well it was somewhat stable, and not unusable. Clearly enough for this guy! Tiger will be a huge improvement, and if it's a G4, with enough RAM it should even run Leopard well.

Last edited:

mjgjhb

There is another issue though, If I drag this laptop to it's next upgrade (Tiger 10.4.11), chances are I won't be able to find the old Voda software for that version... (problem I've been having currently with Voda staff not knowing what I'm talking about...)
Have searched the Voda site -no reference to downloading VMC software for Tiger...

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
There is another issue though, If I drag this laptop to it's next upgrade (Tiger 10.4.11), chances are I won't be able to find the old Voda software for that version... (problem I've been having currently with Voda staff not knowing what I'm talking about...)
Have searched the Voda site -no reference to downloading VMC software for Tiger...
Drag it to Leopard. ;)

MTN packs it's software on the 3G stick I have (E153) - I'm surprised Vodacom doesn't do likewise.

ponder

Honorary Master
http://www.business.vodafone.com/download/getFmlDoc.do?docId=64f37bbf-937a-4113-9c29-2a67dc7ec5e4
http://help.vodacom.co.za/portal/en...=Broadband&softdown=Software&manufacturer=Mac

http://www.business.vodafone.com/download/getFmlDoc.do?docId=17a6780c-02c4-433d-a9d1-78166e42f5f6
Supported Macs

Any Mac with at least a G4 processor running at 800 Mhz or above, with at least 2GB of
RAM.

Supported operating systems

• Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger (on Intel Macs)
• Mac OS X 10.5.8 Leopard (on Intel and Power PC Macs)
• Mac OS X 10.6.7 Snow Leopard (on Intel Macs)

Last edited:

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN
Feeling brave? If the USB modem has the same Prolific chipset as described here, the same method being used for Leopard may just work for Puma. Gimme a shout if you need help.

Greg

Cole505

Upgrade to Tiger (10.4.11) - I have an upgrade disk if you want. It'll also make his Mac a lot faster.
Good day

My name is Nic , I hope all is well with you .

I came across you as a possible contact while I was searching for Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger ppc . If you have said software I would be willing to pay for it , within reason as I am unemployed at present ( and it seems that will remain my circumstance for at least the medium term) that being said my faith is strong .

If you can assist me , even to point me in a possible direction your effort would be greatly appreciated .

Thanking you
Nic

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
Good day

My name is Nic , I hope all is well with you .

I came across you as a possible contact while I was searching for Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger ppc . If you have said software I would be willing to pay for it , within reason as I am unemployed at present ( and it seems that will remain my circumstance for at least the medium term) that being said my faith is strong .

If you can assist me , even to point me in a possible direction your effort would be greatly appreciated .

Thanking you
Nic
Hello. I'd recommend getting Leopard 10.5.8 and installing it to a USB, it's not hard to do.