Vodacom 20GB deal for R199x24months

RedViking

Nord of the South
A contract is only there to protect the business, not the customer. They want to change the price, they can do it, there is no consumer protection.

Danieljoh

Has anyone tried to transfer your data from this 20GB Data SIM to your normal mobile phone SIM?

Had someone from Vodacom call me now aggressively trying to sell it to me, by saying that I can leave the data SIM in a cupboard somewhere and just transfer the data to my phone. I don't trust what the guy is saying at all though, as if that was possible everyone would be doing it already, and there would be no point in pricing the data differently to a normal mobile SIM. If they were lying over the phone, then I'd be upset, because how many people would be duped by it.

Tradezzz

Correct as per my March invoice for R205.99 (extra 6 bucks for contract insurance in case of death)

My invoice in April was R225, but I obviously didn't suspect a price increase, especially in the second month! That would be hideous, right? Also, I did not receive any notification/communication regarding said increase. I just assumed (yes, I know) that it was VAT or that this is the first month of the actual correct amount, since we all know: the first month or two of a new contract is usually not spot-on due to kick-off admin charges and all sorts of other stuff you don't know about.
After all, it's only R25 and not some obscure amount, so I just let it be. As May's invoice arrived unchanged for another R225, I gathered it was R199 ex VAT.
I left it there, satisfied, since it wasn't in a typical roller coaster state like Telkom's invoices (okay, that was below the belt). :ROFL:

Come yesterday, I phoned the call centre, only to find out that there was indeed a price increase, but when I drew his attention to the same deal still being advertised for R199, he said:

"Oh."

He then told me to return to the store where I originally signed the contract, and they will correct it for me.

I might go on Saturday.
Stay tuned... :popcorn:
You can try, but I don't think you will succeed. New contracts are often sold at lower prices than previously advertised. The price increase is just unfortunate timing for you.
But please do keep us posted.

Meelperd

You can try, but I don't think you will succeed.
Now wouldn't that put Vodacom in a sticky situation - their word against their word. Eish! We'll just have to wait and see (not going to town this weekend btw, sorry you'll have to wait another week).

Arthur AnymoreDonuts

Indeed, my contract as shown above is now like R350pm and not R329. That price increase and some type of insurance is where Meelperds issue comes in.
I have the same contract as you and when the price increased to like +-R356 I gave the a call and they said that they increased it by R20-00 per month so it was an actual increase, think it was like three months back.

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
Aaand here is why my Telkom ADSL deal is STILL BETTER!!!

I have a line that works when the power is out! Unlike the bloody cell tower which has no backup!

I have an effective 80GB per month (40GB day time, and 40GB nightowl). Speed isn't like super amazing, but I'm in the sticks, it will never be better than it is. I get free Telkom to Telkom calls which means that I can actually use the phone! And this only costs R700 pm.

That data deal from Vodacom would cost me 20GB x 4 to = my 80GB usage. I would have no ability to call anyone when the power goes out and I would not be able to call anyone at all even when there is a signal, because cell charges are nutso expensive. At present I use whatsapp on the wifi for international calls to family.

Meelperd

But please do keep us posted.
So, it went like this:

The consultant in-store explained that Vodacom launches specials, discontinue them, and re-launch them specifically for this reason - in order to increase the installments legally.
I would've had a valid argument, if my special that launched in February was still running, but it was "discontinued" and re-launched, which is a very clever loophole in the system.

Yes, it is exactly the same deal, down to the tiniest detail, but because they launch it "temporarily" and include this in the fine print:
,the price increase is legal. Unethical yes, but legal.

PS: Yes, it says "reserves to alter" instead of "reserves the right to alter", but no one is ever gonna win a grammar fight with a powerful service provider in court over 12 bucks.

RuhanSA079

So, after this whole bickering I just read, on the prices (YMMV!) It comes down to that Vodacom can change the price whenever they feel it, and a colleague of me bought this to my attention of the super cheap deal.

Tbh, is it worth it for R199-R235 pm for 40GB (20GB anytime and 20GB night owl)?
Most of the general public don't really use the night owl cap, (some of you do) so:

R200pm (avg~YMMV) divided by 20GB anytime would leave me like R10 per GB.

My Webafrica Internet costs me like R530 for 100GB ~ R5.30 per GB.

What about the topup costs if you hit the cap on the Vodacom deal? Certainly much more than R10 per GB.
My topup costs on Webafrica is like R12.50, assuming I hit the cap. I use like 80GB to 90GB the whole month.

Whats your opinion?

Bundu

Expert Member
So, after this whole bickering I just read, on the prices (YMMV!) It comes down to that Vodacom can change the price whenever they feel it, and a colleague of me bought this to my attention of the super cheap deal.

Tbh, is it worth it for R199-R235 pm for 40GB (20GB anytime and 20GB night owl)?
Most of the general public don't really use the night owl cap, (some of you do) so:

What about the topup costs if you hit the cap on the Vodacom deal? Certainly much more than R10 per GB.
My topup costs on Webafrica is like R12.50, assuming I hit the cap. I use like 80GB to 90GB the whole month.

Whats your opinion?
I guess it depends how much data you need per month?
If you need <20GB, then this deal isn't bad

Dan C

Honorary Master

Whats your opinion?
Does it roll over ? My 110 gig from Vodacom for R299 does.

Chinmaya

A contract is only there to protect the business, not the customer. They want to change the price, they can do it, there is no consumer protection.
In SA it’s business who is always protected and not the bloody customer/consumer. Customers are screwed as always in a third world country.