Vodacom 4G claims must go: ASA

Bosvark@

Expert Member
Vodacom certainly not playing by their own rules. Good for CellC!

Slim vang sy baas

Azg

Expert Member
Can the consumers also sue for being duped by Vodacom into thinking they were using a 4G network?

ponder

Honorary Master
I'm confused, isn't LTE/4G the same thing?
LTE does not meet the ITU IMT Advanced requirements.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMT_Advanced#Candidate_systems
On December 6, 2010, ITU noted that while current versions of LTE, WiMax and other evolved 3G technologies do not fulfill IMT-Advanced requirements for 4G, some may use the term "4G" in an "undefined" fashion to represent forerunners to IMT-Advanced that show "a substantial level of improvement in performance and capabilities with respect to the initial third generation systems now deployed.
LTE Advanced (Long-term-evolution Advanced) was formally submitted by the 3GPP organization to ITU-T in the fall 2009, and expected to be released in 2012. The target of 3GPP LTE Advanced was to reach and surpass the ITU requirements.[21] LTE Advanced is an improvement on the existing LTE network. Release 10 of LTE is expected to achieve the LTE Advanced speeds. Release 8 in 2009 supported up to 300 Mbit/s download speeds which was still short of the IMT-Advanced standards.[22]

Last edited:

Swa

Honorary Master
I'm confused, isn't LTE/4G the same thing?
No it's 3G but some networks have been using clever marketing like 3.5G or 3.75G because the terms don't technically exist as defined.

falcon786

Executive Member
Wahahahahaha this is just priceless,Vodacom bitten by the snake they created!

Suck it you idiots,next time stick to to your own rules you created.Marketing team should be spanked for this phenomenal mess up,they clearly were out of touch with Vodacoms previous ASA submissions.:D

Valerion

Expert Member
then why my cellphone register 4G on the screen?
It became a marketing term in other countries (especially the US). Manufacturers can put on the screen what they like, and they tried to match the marketing hype.

Dave

Honorary Master
No. LTE-Advanced is 4G.

Normal LTE I think is 3.9G
LTE does not meet the ITU IMT Advanced requirements.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMT_Advanced#Candidate_systems
No it's 3G but some networks have been using clever marketing like 3.5G or 3.75G because the terms don't technically exist as defined.
It actually changed at the end of 2010, the ITU has agreed that LTE can now be classified as 4G.

ITU says LTE, WiMax and HSPA+ are now officially 4G
Posted: 18 Dec 2010, 13:03, by Alan F.

The International Telecommunications Union has expanded its definition of 4G service to include WiMax, LTE and HSPA+. This decision comes a couple of months after T-Mobile and Sprint had started calling their respective HSPA+ and WiMax offerings 4G in advertisements. Verizon has started promoting its LTE service as a 4G connection. While AT&T is the only one of the four major U.S. operators not to promote a 4G pipeline, the carrier did dispute T-Mobile's claim of owning the largest 4G network in America, as we reported. And Sprint even said that it had the only real 4G network in the U.S.

Read more at http://www.phonearena.com/news/ITU-says-LTE-WiMax-and-HSPA--are-now-officially-4G_id15435#bb97ZDDVGuQAJbjY.99
Vodacom is actually correct about the definition changing as of the end of 2010.

krycor

Honorary Master
then why my cellphone register 4G on the screen?
On iPhone the operator sets this.. So on my iPhone it says LTE for MTN, for Vodacom it says 4G ;) I wonder if they will change that