Vodacom BlackBerry 10 launch happening this week

zizebra

Iam wondering why blackberry did not bring this sooner. For me its doing better than iPhone

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
Probably more a case of very different that better.
This.

Currently my S3 is the last phone I reach for in my stash (920, Z10, iPhone5, S3). Not that it's a bad phone (it's still the geek-toy of choice), it's just that I find the newer OS's more refreshing. (Not that I consider IOS 'new' ;))

Both WP8 and BB10 will need to bring out a few updates to fix niggling problems soon but I'm quite comfortable with this. No amount of testing can catch all the small issues you'll pick up when you release to the greater public.

Look how quickly 6.1.1 came out to fix the 6.1 3G bug. It's not about launching a perfect device, but how quickly you react to issues.

Last edited:

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
with 4 reasonably sized smartphones do you walk around with a newsman's waistcoat to carry around the phones?

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
with 4 reasonably sized smartphones do you walk around with a newsman's waistcoat to carry around the phones?
Yes, each in a quickdraw belt holster ala Clint Eastwood in a spaghetti western. :)

No, 3 (actually about 6) stay in my bag and I typically use one for at least 2 weeks at a time.

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
the insurance premium on that bag must be a bitch.

You could make an smartphone spaghetti western advert campaign especially if it involves killing that bloody meerkat. But back to the point the Z10 on Red VIP is that aimed as a "superior" product to 8ta's Galaxy on unlimited. Why have we not read anything about Red VIP?

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
the insurance premium on that bag must be a bitch.

You could make an smartphone spaghetti western advert campaign especially if it involves killing that bloody meerkat. But back to the point the Z10 on Red VIP is that aimed as a "superior" product to 8ta's Galaxy on unlimited. Why have we not read anything about Red VIP?
Someone did make a video at one point with the meerkat being killed and grilled. sure there's a link here somewehere.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
@jannie.

Do you know if the Z10 will function on a clients order BES server? I have a client that wants to upgrade some lines with this phone...but not sure what is happening on the server side. Some are saying it wont work..some are saying it will. Do you know?

Haldex

Expert Member
@jannie.

Do you know if the Z10 will function on a clients order BES server? I have a client that wants to upgrade some lines with this phone...but not sure what is happening on the server side. Some are saying it wont work..some are saying it will. Do you know?
Can I answer?
It will work, they need cals though, or transfer the old cal.
It will work on server v.5 or v.10, but only email synch and calender, all additional security and settings will be pushed and will work on the new device. Data however is charged for.

zululami

Banned
if the Z10 comes with limited BIS options, what if I insert my current BIS enabled SIM card?

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
if the Z10 comes with limited BIS options, what if I insert my current BIS enabled SIM card?
You'll use data at your prevailing data rate, i.e. not within your BIS subscription that can only work on OS7 or earlier handsets.