• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

Vodacom BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) data cap introduced

Madman88

Honorary Master
Well, I'm not surprised. Considering all those people who abuse the service it's only fair.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
I am not surprised - what with the leeching going on.

Those leechers have nobody to blame except themselves.

I think Vodacom is fully within their rights by wanting to cap the BIS services - as an uncapped, wireless service will lead to network degradation, and more users moaning about poor network performance due to the greedy few downloading in order to fill their hard drives.

Ykv

100MB.....

So according to VC using more than 100MB a month is abusing the service?

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
But, on the other hand, 100Mb might be too little...

Vodacom said that steps have been taken to ensure that the 95% of the BlackBerry users who are currently using the service fairly are not impacted by “those who are abusing the service”.

“The 5% of the base who are not using the service for what it was intended will have their connection speed reduced from 3G to 2G levels,” Vodacom said.

Vodacom explained that Blackberry Internet Service users who have reach the 100MB threshold per month will have their connection speed reduced from 3G to 2G levels. Blackberry Enterprise Users will not be affected.

rainynight65

Err... Maybe it's just me, but the service already felt degraded or at least handicapped to me when I still had a BB. Comparing the 3G speeds on my iPhone with those I got on my Torch...

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
So 95% of blackberry users are using less than a 100mb, this number seems awfully low.
BB uses optimization so there is less data, also most of the BB's out there are Edge devices and you don't get much Edge out there anyway. With that kind of speed you can't really get much data

Prof.Merlin

Expert Member
haha.

100mb.

Probably cheaper now to just get a bolt-on data bundle on normal phones than to pay R60 for 100mb of data on bb.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
So 95% of blackberry users are using less than a 100mb, this number seems awfully low.
BB uses optimization so there is less data, also most of the BB's out there are Edge devices and you don't get much Edge out there anyway. With that kind of speed you can't really get much data

Nicko

Expert Member
I am not surprised - what with the leeching going on.

Those leechers have nobody to blame except themselves.

I think Vodacom is fully within their rights by wanting to cap the BIS services - as an uncapped, wireless service will lead to network degradation, and more users moaning about poor network performance due to the greedy few downloading in order to fill their hard drives.
Yes, and I think you wouldn't find many people who would disagree with that. But 100 megs is nothing, and is just ridiculous to impose such a cap when you are already paying R70 for "uncapped".

semaj

The last appealing aspect of having a Blackberry is now gone, the iphone with 100MB bundle is a much better option.

killadoob

Honorary Master
This is stupid, once my contract is up i am leaving vodacom and blackberry for that matter. I may not leave blackberry just use another provider unless this will apply to all networks?

Bunch of idiots, 100mb :eek:, i think 1gb would be fair enough but 100mb. Typical of vodacom.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
The last appealing aspect of having a Blackberry is now gone, the iphone with 100MB bundle is a much better option.
Vodacom is set on losing their customers. Time to switch to CellC is my opinion for BB users.

So now BB users will pay R70 for the "uncapped service" and will potentially need to buy a Vodacom data bundle as well if/when they reach 100Mb? Sounds like Vodacom may want to sell more of their own data.

Not that I use either, but sucks for ppl who do.