Vodacom Contract Expired. Let it run month-to-month?

b_crazy

Expert Member
As the title suggests. My contract with Vodacom expired in Aug 2018, and I've pretty much let it run month-to-month.

The iphone I'm using now is one I bought cash because after my contract expired I didn't want another 2 years of exorbitant bills.

Is there any benefit (e.g costs of phone calls, data etc) to stay on the month-to-month?

Should I cancel and go prepaid?

OCP

Expert Member
Does the month to month cost drop to exclude the cost of the handset you have been paying for?
otherwise downgrade to a cheaper contract.

Nobody Important

Executive Member
Does the month to month cost drop to exclude the cost of the handset you have been paying for?
This.

I did the same with MTN. Bought an iPhone cash almost 2 years ago when I was due for an upgrade. Instead of "upgrading" I simply selected a sim-only month-to-month deal. The benefit to me was that the included airtime worked out cheaper that way. I can still top-up if I run short.

Neuk_

Executive Member
I have done similar, using my iPhone 7 until I am forced to replace it for whatever reason.

How can it not?

b_crazy

Expert Member
Depends. What's included in your contract and how much?
I'm on the Smart S+ at 299pm. 600MB data and 250 minutes.
I usually almost use up the minutes and usually add another gig of data (or 2, currently at R149/gig).
I do have Wifi at home so I can control my data usage if I have to.

OCP

Expert Member
How can it not?

On my wife's contract when it expired and I left it running month to month they continued to charge the same (ie. it still had the handset portion included)
When I discovered this a few months later and queried it they told me they could downgrade the contract for free but there would be no refund...

Nobody Important

Executive Member
I usually almost use up the minutes and usually add another gig of data (or 2, currently at R149/gig).
Seems like a good deal.

How much would you pay for those minutes if you were prepaid?

b_crazy

Expert Member
The cost excludes the handset when the contract lapses and is running month to month.

Interestingly, I was on the same package (250 minutes, 600mb data) and at the time of me taking my contract in 2016 this package was the Smart L and it was at R599pm. Now the same package is called a Smart S+ at R299pm.

I had to get them to change it to the R299pm Smart S+ otherwise they would've happily just let it run.

b_crazy

Expert Member
Seems like a good deal.

How much would you pay for those minutes if you were prepaid?
Well I just checked their site, and here are a few examples from the prepaid packages:

NXT LVL Prepaid Price Plan at R1.53/min, I'd be paying R382.50 for the minutes alone
Vodacom 4 Less Prepaid at R2.64/min, I'd be paying R660 for the minutes alone o_O
Vodacom Anytime Per Second at R1.23/min, I'd be paying R307.50 for the minutes alone
Power 4U at 1.82/min, I'd be paying R455 for the minutes alone

Well, I did the homework and I'm a little taken aback. Why is prepaid so damn expensive???

Neuk_

Executive Member
On my wife's contract when it expired and I left it running month to month they continued to charge the same (ie. it still had the handset portion included)
When I discovered this a few months later and queried it they told me they could downgrade the contract for free but there would be no refund...

Who was the contract with? I would have fought them until I got every cent of my money back that they stole from me.

OCP

Expert Member
Who was the contract with? I would have fought them until I got every cent of my money back that they stole from me.

Vodascum :-(

Yeah; at the time I had a lot to deal with so this was the least of my worries so just cancelled it.

Neuk_

Executive Member
Vodascum :-(

Yeah; at the time I had a lot to deal with so this was the least of my worries so just cancelled it.

Aah, makes sense, they charged my girlfriend for two phones for months after delivering the incorrect one and not acknowledging that she sent it back, she managed to get every cent back though after giving them **** for months on end. One more reason I watch my Vodacom invoices like a hawk.

Nobody Important

Executive Member
Well I just checked their site, and here are a few examples from the prepaid packages:

NXT LVL Prepaid Price Plan at R1.53/min, I'd be paying R382.50 for the minutes alone
Vodacom 4 Less Prepaid at R2.64/min, I'd be paying R660 for the minutes alone o_O
Vodacom Anytime Per Second at R1.23/min, I'd be paying R307.50 for the minutes alone
Power 4U at 1.82/min, I'd be paying R455 for the minutes alone

Well, I did the homework and I'm a little taken aback. Why is prepaid so damn expensive???
So now you have the answer to your OP. :)

Go month to month.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
Yes, month to month. You now pay basically only for the package (minutes/data/sms), and not the phone. I saved abour R600 a month last time I did it.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master

They robbed you plain and simple

Skelm f..cks

YM_80

Look at the data contracts. Might be able to get a 1 or 2 gig data for R85 per month on Vodacom.

Airtime, though...you'll need another way. If it's not that big a deal, see if you can use eBucks or some other incentive-type mechanism so you don't pay cash for airtime.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
As the title suggests. My contract with Vodacom expired in Aug 2018, and I've pretty much let it run month-to-month.

The iphone I'm using now is one I bought cash because after my contract expired I didn't want another 2 years of exorbitant bills.

Is there any benefit (e.g costs of phone calls, data etc) to stay on the month-to-month?

Should I cancel and go prepaid?

I'm in the same boat. Going to switch to Telkom Mobile - done with Vodacom

sajunky

Honorary Master
250 minutes with Telkom will cost you R175 (OOB @R0.70/min), but read on, you don't have to pay so much.

Current deal with Telkom is not a 'hot', but still quite good:
R399p/m with iPhone 7 32GB on FreeMe 1GB. As a package is R99 SIM-only, you pay for iPhone R300p/m x24.

A deal adds in addition to the normal FreeMe benefits like free calls to Telkom:
- 100 all-net minutes p/m x24
- 10 GB Telkom data p/m x6 (for total 60GB - as a carrot)

You need extra 150 minutes - R105 if you go OOB R0.70/min. Total R504 with iPhone.

Now look at the the all-net voice bundles, it can be added to the FreeMe account at a little extra cost:
- R30 100 minutes
- R80 200 minutes
- R100 300 minutes
- R150 500 minutes

With free calls (to Telkom landlines and cellular), you only need to add 100 minutes bundle. That makes total R399+R30=R429.

One GB data bundle should be sufficient as Whatsapp is free.

Just an example. Vodacom wants to extend my current contract and say, it will match a competitor, but they can't, as there are cheap voice/data bundles from Telkom and affordable OOB. Should I wait for March to see a new monthly hot deal from Telkom or take this one?