Vodacom customer sets R50 contract data limit, gets R20,000 bill

zizo911

Executive Member
Wow! Glad she got credited though, its insane that they can charge so much for data.

crackersa

Honorary Master
I actually don't understand how prepaid can cut off but they can't do the same for contract with a set limit.

Thieves

garp

Executive Member
Wow! Glad she got credited though, its insane that they can charge so much for data.

What's really insane is that she can put a limit on her account but Vodacom can just charge her anyway with the excuse that they gave her the wrong form and they can't guarantee the limits will work.

Somehow, limits work just fine on prepaid (because isn't that what prepaid really is - purchase of limited access?), but not on contract. At least in this case sanity prevailed but how many others have been bitten by the OOB shark (especially when roaming)?

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
I actually don't understand how prepaid can cut off but they can't do the same for contract with a set limit.

Thieves
They can I bet but they are corrupt and have been screwing customers for years.

BlindMelonChitlin

Expert Member
Vodacom has taken the decision, in good faith, to credit Ms Tarr for data charges billed,” said Vodacom.

The fine print

According to the report, Vodacom has disclaimers in its terms and conditions that “gives it an out” should a limit requested by a customer not kick in.
Good faith??? Where is the CPA clause that by default mandates a cap on clients cellphone bills without intervention???

Ecco

Executive Member

Thieves

You make an excellent point. Somebody from Vodacom shoukd should explain.

grok

Honorary Master
Same happened to me a few years ago, official explanation was 'their system automatically disabled the limit right after I requested it'.

****ing kid you not..

Was left with a R10k bill that I had to pay & Vodacom never investigated or came back with a proper explanation like I requested them to.

Their loss anyway, I had 3 numbers with them at the time & went prepaid on all immediately after that incident. Went from spending R3k per month to under R1k.

Never trust a greedy company, especially with contracts.

Drunkard #1

Expert Member
Good faith??? Where is the CPA clause that by default mandates a cap on clients cellphone bills without intervention???

The CPA only applies to companies that can't out lawyer The Commissioner. Thieving scum like vodacon get to break the law with impunity.

BlindMelonChitlin

Expert Member
Same happened to me a few years ago, official explanation was 'their system automatically disabled the limit right after I requested it'.

****ing kid you not..

Was left with a R10k bill that I had to pay & Vodacom never investigated or came back with a proper explanation like I requested them to.

Their loss anyway, I had 3 numbers with them at the time & went prepaid on all immediately after that incident. Went from spending R3k per month to under R1k.

Never trust a greedy company, especially with contracts.

But you stuck with them? :eek:

Pilgrim

Wugger

Thieves

They can I bet but they are corrupt and have been screwing customers for years.

You make an excellent point. Somebody from Vodacom shoukd should explain.

I asked this years ago, back when Vodacom3G was a forum member (or something like that, the vodacom rep way back when)

The answer is some gobledy gook about how it is two different backend systems and that the postpaid system cannot do it, bla bla bla.

What I take away was "it is convenient for us to keep screwing the customer" and it looks like that is still the case.

From this article it is clear that they don't really want publicity on it. Good luck if she just went a few thousand rands over, they would not have credited her. R20k is too much to just gobledy gook away...

Beri

Expert Member
Vodacom has taken the decision, in good faith, to credit Ms Tarr for data charges billed,” said Vodacom.

Lol. What an ass company. This should not have happened in the first place.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Telkom (the masters of incompetence) can do it in real time but Vodacom can't after how many years? How incompetent are their software people or is management not interested?

supersunbird

Honorary Master
I asked this years ago, back when Vodacom3G was a forum member (or something like that, the vodacom rep way back when)

The answer is some gobledy gook about how it is two different backend systems and that the postpaid system cannot do it, bla bla bla.

What I take away was "it is convenient for us to keep screwing the customer" and it looks like that is still the case.

From this article it is clear that they don't really want publicity on it. Good luck if she just went a few thousand rands over, they would not have credited her. R20k is too much to just gobledy gook away...

Yeah, guess their people are unable to program a system... so weak.

Pilgrim

Wugger
Yeah, guess their people are unable to program a system... so weak.

Nah, lack of will to do it I am sure. I would love to know how much money they make on R199 data contracts that go a little OOB every now and then. You know, what is R1000 between you and your contract?

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
I think this issue still haunts jannie - it's been years now that they've been unable to address it

AirWolf

Honorary Master
Like their website and app a significant number of "features" on their systems don't work as they should.

cavedog

Honorary Master
I think this issue still haunts jannie - it's been years now that they've been unable to address it

I don't think so... Jannie is very quick to post in other threads when competitors test or launch something say Vodacom did this first and that first and it's faster but can't sort out the simple OOB plague....

I mean Telkom got it right first time but Vodacom can't do the same or should I rather say won't.