Vodacom customer's battle to cancel VLive subscription

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Vodacom customer's battle to cancel VLive subscription

MyBroadband was recently contacted by a Vodacom customer who claimed that Vodacom subscribed him to a WASP service without his consent.

He stated that to the best of his knowledge, he had never activated a WASP subscription on his account and had measures in place to automatically unsubscribe his number from any WASPs.

Jola

Honorary Master
This happens all the time, VLive is a known parasite, and attacks without authorisation.

Jola

Honorary Master
And, Vodacom spokesperson Byron Kennedy, you can't unsubscribe via the VLive Portal, because you never subscribed to this portal and therefore cannot log in. And nobody in their right minds would register just in order to unsubscribe for something that they never subscribed to in the first place.

And the USSD stuff just doesn't work for VLive !

Craig

Honorary Master
All these people should know by now that VC are a bunch of crooks, yet they still willingly subscribe to their network.

Hit them where it hurts and they will stop their crap.

NihilimSA

These people are thieves. They have never admitted guilt and will not stop this because for every one person that complains and require a refund, thousands are still being stolen from. A little bad PR is acceptable for millions in your pocket every month. They have no incentive to stop stealing like this. They are laughing their behinds off at all of us.

If only 100 people don't realize this they are stealing R300 000 a month.
Vodacom has 43million subscribers. If only 0.1% of them don't notice or complain, "someone" is pocketing R12mil a month.

Most effective criminal organization in the country.

system32

Expert Member
Gesture of goodwill

They had a simple documented unsubscribe method STOP SMS to 31050

How does adding a undocumented web site / additional USSD simplify this?

Surprised Vodacom didn't add their customary "As a gesture of goodwill we refund the customer and admit no liability".

recre8

Also got subscribed without authorization. Happened to at least half the people I know on Vodacom. Most didn't know about the subscription until I asked them to check their statement. When I tried cancelling and getting a refund, the call-center drones kept making me feel like I must have subscribed somehow and that they are doing me a huge favor by organizing me a refund. Absolute BS. When I asked them to give me record where I subscribed, they stated they can't because I already unsubscribed. So they have no history of your WASP subscriptions, only the latest state. Vodacom's back-end must be ancient. No wonder they have so many outages, terrible billing and bad service.

ryu

Expert Member
for some reason i've been subscribed to about three yes three premium rated services by MTN :( i unsubscribed from all and even set my PRS limit to zero - lets hope this sorts it out. i'm on an afrihost pre paid plan and get around R36 airtime pm which is all gone now and i've been too afraid to top up incase the wasps devour it all.

Ivanr

Expert Member
The only time Vodacom will stop this WASP illegal billing is when a customer seeks a remedy at the High Court and the Judge order all costs to be paid by Vodacom (Pty) Ltd. The noise/Wara,wara on this forum WILL NOT put an end to this.

garyc

Expert Member
I found that Vodacom can cancel this from inside one of their stores, it only takes a minute. Did however have to spend four hours in the store before I managed to convince them to do it.

Eranda

Vodacom problems

O my GOODNESS

I look like the guy in the photo at least 3 times a month since March this year.
I am so fed up with Vodacom's unethical businesses rules that I really want to scream and scream and scream.
The untrue reasons for mistakes on my account, the promises to resolve it and then not resolve it at all.
The make me out as if I do not know how to use my cellphone subscription.
I am really so sick and tired of it and I can understand that people wants to contact everybody that can listen to log a complaint. But my experience is that they actually do not care about their clients and the fraud will not stop.

A very very unhappy Vodacom client.
Eranda

Jola

Honorary Master
Criminal behaviour.

I now have to keep a maximum of R5 on my Vodacom account, and cannot use it to make outgoing calls, because if there is any money on there they will take it.

But I mainly use it for incoming calls and data, and I have a dual sim phone, so I make outgoing calls on the other sim.