Vodacom Cuts off 2.5 Million of Poorest Subscribers

Skeptik

Banned
Vodacom hangs up the phone on 2.5m low-spending customers

THABISO MOCHIKO

Johannesburg - While announcing its growth in subscribers yesterday, Vodacom said it had disconnected 2.5 million SIM cards held by customers who spent less than R1 a month on cell-phone services - 1 million fewer disconnections than priginally planned.

Last July, the country's biggest cell-phone group said it would cancel 3.5 million customers who spent less than R1 a month as at the end of December because they had calls transferred to voicemail as their only revenue generating activity. In September, it announced that it had reverted to its original.rule and a call forwarded to voicemail would now be considered a revenue generating activity.

Yesterday Vodacom declined to comment on its decision to cancel only 2.5 million non-revenue generating subscribers.

It announced its 9.5 percent jump in subscribers to 28.2 million in all its operations from September to December last year.

Subscriptions for local customers, including community services, grew 7.8 percent to 21.8 million. About 2.9 million are contract customers and 18.8 million are prepaid.

Rival MTN had 11.2 million subscribers as at September 30 and Cell C had 2.7 million subscribers at the end of June.

Vodacom's subscriber growth coincided with the launch of mobile number portability (MNP), introduced in November. Vodacom said customer turnover in its network due to number portability totalled about 20 000.

Vodacom said it was monitoring MNP but it was doubtful if full number portability would ever be a fully viable option before all networks were fully based on internet protocol.
Cape Times, 30th Jan 2007

Syndyre

Honorary Master
I don't think they're poor subscribers, I think they're just unused sims.

Angelo

Expert Member
Skeptik from reading your posts I didn't think you cared much about the so called "poor" and all of a sudden you are seething with anger because they have been treated unfairly or is it just because Vodacom is in the equation?

Last edited:

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Do you check the change return holes of public telephones too?
I've been know to when I'm abroad :D

but I would never send a "please call me" - I have my standards! :p

Bageloo

Expert Member
I've been know to when I'm abroad :D

but I would never send a "please call me" - I have my standards! :p
Jokes aside, my question was relating to Vodacom's wisdom in cutting those subscribers off. Through a "please call me" such subscribers initiate a call for which somebody has to pay. I thought cellular phones were going to solve some of the telcommunication problems for the poor who cannot afford telkom. I guess I was wrong then!:(

BobbyMac

Expert Member
Sims are automatically `suspended' after a period of 3 months of inactivity [inactivity includes sms's, pleasecallmes [only actual physical calls made counts towarsd activity]]. Even though voicemail is still active for the subscriber, the sim may well no longer be. It is apparantly some of these sims that have been cut off. Harldy anything sinister as many are sugesting.

Bageloo

Expert Member
Sims are automatically `suspended' after a period of 3 months of inactivity [inactivity includes sms's, pleasecallmes [only actual physical calls made counts towarsd activity]]. Even though voicemail is still active for the subscriber, the sim may well no longer be. It is apparantly some of these sims that have been cut off. Harldy anything sinister as many are sugesting.
Does that mean deaf and moot persons cannot have cellphones? Such people do not make voice calls but can use SMS's MMS's which they pay for.

JK8

Banned
I doubt its the please call me issue, if those sim users actually sent please call me's, chancers are Voda would have still made some monies of calls made to those subscribers.

Syndyre

Honorary Master
They said the only revenue generating activity was calls being diverted to voicemail, I presume that means there were no incoming calls that were answered as these would also generate revenue.

kilo39

Executive Member
"Doing business isn't just about making money. If it is, you can count me out," says Alan...founding CEO of Vodacom in 1993, a company that has just increased its revenue to close on R20 billion for the past six months. "If you go for what you believe in money becomes a side effect."

So what does the CEO of one of SA's most successful companies believe in? ... he spoke about his big dream. "My dream 15 years ago was a simple one. I dreamed that every person in our country would have a telephone.... Not just the rich and privileged. Not just those who had a house. Not just those who had a job, everyone. I dreamed that we could democratise the telephone. It is after all a basic right for all people to have access to communications. And I dreamed it we could do that, then we could have made a contribution to making all South Africans economically equal. We would have brought families separated by the need to find work, together, at least to talk to each other by telephone.
Vodacom CEO Alan Knott-Craig, Summer 06 Vodaworld Magazine

I'm sure the long line of guys that I noticed yesterday waiting to use the one and only public telephone would have liked to know the above.

And so they lie, to themselves, and to us. 20 billion rand, 6 months, sickening (but no its not just about making money.)