Vodacom eSIM works on iPhone, but users are advised not to use it

Swa

Honorary Master
Vodacom falling behind again. It's really their partial implementation that's the issue. ESIM is intended as a replacement for SIMs and not to duplicate phone numbers. From the perspective of the phone it's simply an embedded SIM and the network just needs to treat its number as such.

wizzypow

Telkom mobile will have eSim support by end of February. I'm lucky enough to have it working already
Alas, they will only support smart watches by end of the year. For now, I have my iPhone linked to the eSim and it's been working without any hiccups

Aghori

Honorary Master
Works fine on my iPhone. There's no delays in SMS or Whatsapp messages, they're talking balls as usual at VC.

katastrofie

Telkom mobile will have eSim support by end of February. I'm lucky enough to have it working already
Alas, they will only support smart watches by end of the year. For now, I have my iPhone linked to the eSim and it's been working without any hiccups

That’s really interesting.

How are they implementing it: linked to a physical sim and only on contract, or are they actually doing it properly: stand-alone function, also available on prepaid?

wizzypow

That’s really interesting.

How are they implementing it: linked to a physical sim and only on contract, or are they actually doing it properly: stand-alone function, also available on prepaid?
They are doing it properly. They issue an eSim voucher which you scan the QR and your phone provisions that specific eSim directly.
Can work on both contract and prepaid (at least this is what I was offered for my testing...)

SeaSickMama

Expert Member
They just dont want to enable it, just like they forcing rain not to enable it when in fact it was meant to be released in May 2019. Money will be lost as they want to control the data game

Louis72

Expert Member
Ja ja Vodacom. You are just sour because Apple doesn’t let you dictate to them what model iPhone you would like to sell on your network.

The way Samsung and most other manufacturers are too happy to supply you with non-Dual sim models only to suite your agenda.

Anyways MTN(eSIM) and Telkom work real nicely together on my phone:p

SeaSickMama

Expert Member
lol.

Rest of the world has been doing this for years, yet here in Africa they are pretending it's like launching a rocket to Mars.
Doesnt surprise me that Elon left then :O
Asking of too much this side, people are just incompetent in sa on so many levels when it comes to tech

katastrofie

They are doing it properly. They issue an eSim voucher which you scan the QR and your phone provisions that specific eSim directly.
Can work on both contract and prepaid (at least this is what I was offered for my testing...)

Exciting stuff!

K.J

Sounds great.

So, would I be able to get my data contract (sim in router currently) onto my phone as an esim?
On phone using a prepaid sim.

All on Telkom.

Gozzy

...ESIM is intended as a replacement for SIMs and not to duplicate phone numbers...
Maybe, maybe not, new to the game myself, I think there are 2 ways Esims are meant to be used

1)
for example I have an ESIM capable watch and it appears that it is a substitute for your phone when you are on the run or being active(taking phone calls, catching up on some comms, so effectively mirroring your phone (so duplicate number)

2)
and then obviously if you want to buy a new cell phone and requires an eSim (new number) ...

Just a guess :p as I have been struggling getting an esim sorted for myself :p

Charlesjjm

Vodacom falling behind again. It's really their partial implementation that's the issue. ESIM is intended as a replacement for SIMs and not to duplicate phone numbers. From the perspective of the phone it's simply an embedded SIM and the network just needs to treat its number as such.
It depends what you want to achieve. For wearables, I don't want a new number, but a duplication of my existing number. Otherwise, what's the point.

But, if you want a second line for whatever reason, then yes, it needs its own number.

Vodacom and MTN should implement both instances and allow the consumer to chose what they want to do with the esim according to their circumstance.

Sapphiron

Expert Member
Given the issues VC are warning about, the solution is simple. Put a data only sim from another network in the phone and use that number for SMS and data, whatapp etc.

That way you have two numbers. A Vodacom number you can give to people you would like to be able to call you and a much lower cost data only sim number, you can use for those you would like to be able to SMS and whatsapp you.

As a bonus, that by doing this, Vodacom will not be making money from selling you inflated data costs.

Last edited:

Luke7777

Executive Member
Given the issues VC are warning about, the solution is simple. Put a data only sim from another network in the phone and use that number for SMS and data, whatapp etc.

That way you have two numbers. A Vodacom number you can give to people you would like to be able to call you and a much lower cost data only sim number, you can use for those you would like to be able to SMS and whatsapp you.

As a bonus, that by doing this, Vodacom will not be making money from selling you inflated data costs.
So which one of those is your e-sim.... because that's what people has been doing in any case, so not sure what's different

Last edited:

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Vodacom are full of schit. It's not "One Number", it's two. The eSim on your watch is a new number with call forwarding from your normal contract number on the sim in your phone enabled to link to it.

So it's the same as setting your personal phone to divert calls to your work phone so you don't have to carry two phones around.

Reactions: Swa

Swa

Honorary Master
Maybe, maybe not, new to the game myself, I think there are 2 ways Esims are meant to be used

1)
for example I have an ESIM capable watch and it appears that it is a substitute for your phone when you are on the run or being active(taking phone calls, catching up on some comms, so effectively mirroring your phone (so duplicate number)

2)
and then obviously if you want to buy a new cell phone and requires an eSim (new number) ...

Just a guess :p as I have been struggling getting an esim sorted for myself :p
An embedded-SIM (eSIM) or embedded universal integrated circuit card (eUICC) is a form of programmable SIM card that is embedded directly into a device.

In machine-to-machine (M2M) applications, where there is no requirement to change the SIM card, this avoids the requirement for a connector. This improves reliability, network security and security, while also reducing space requirements, since a relatively bulky connector is no longer needed, increasing design flexibility. An eSIM can be provisioned remotely; end-users can add or remove operators without the need to physically swap a SIM from the device.

Basically all it does is load the SIM number (not phone number) onto the device directly. Yes #1 is possible but it doesn't really duplicate the number. It just so happens that eSIM is being rolled out together with IoT devices so people kinda expect it as a service but it's not what eSIMs were originally designed for. Vodacom should have provisioned the basics first but their stance on disabling dual sim support prevents them from doing that. #1 is actually possible and would have been a thing without eSIM.

Things are so farked up in SA...

RandomGeek

Expert Member
Is Voda still charging a certain Rand amount per month for the eSIM service?