Vodacom Fibre - can I use my own router?

marlin178

Expert Member
Hi all,

I know that there's an old post on using your own router for Vodacom Fibre but that thread seems dead so I thought I'd create a new thread.

I've got a client who's currently got Vodacom Fibre but he has multiple disconnects during the day - they have to unplug the supplied Huawei router and replug it in to get it working.

He's asked me to get him a new router (was thinking of going with a MikroTik hEX RB750Gr3 - no Wi-Fi needed from the device) but before I get it, I want to make sure that it'll work.

I previously had to call Vodacom from his premises to get access to the supplied Huawei Router (they gave us 24 hour access).

Having said this, does anyone have any experience with this, suggestions or comments to help out?

RossiRPI

I'm with Vodacom Fibre and highly doubt they will give you access to their network with your own router as they own and manage everything themselves, which is why you had to request access to the router. Also, the access which they grant you for the router only allows you to manage the local networking side which further pushes me to say that you wont be able to use a different router on their network.

marlin178

Expert Member
I'm with Vodacom Fibre and highly doubt they will give you access to their network with your own router as they own and manage everything themselves, which is why you had to request access to the router. Also, the access which they grant you for the router only allows you to manage the local networking side which further pushes me to say that you wont be able to use a different router on their network.
Thanks - I thought this might be the case

SilverNodashi

Expert Member
I am curious, are you still using their router / their config, or have you managed to use your own router instead?