• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

Vodacom fibre

tRoN

Executive Member
So they are the first to offer me service in my area.
Price looks decent.
How is their service as I have to sign a 12 month contract.

milan188

So they are the first to offer me service in my area.
Price looks decent.
How is their service as I have to sign a 12 month contract.
Don't sign anything with them. They are aiming to be open access in Q1 2018 so maybe wait till then and see how other isps are priced on their network.

Canopus

We have Vodacom fibre in our estate. It was a decision of the HOA, we weren't asked for input. They offered us a choice of a 24 month contract with no installation costs, 12 months with R500 installation cost and month to month for R900 upfront. I chose the last option as there is no way I will sign a 12 or 24 month contract with any ISP (20 Mbps capped). I am not happy with the HOA's decision to go with Vodacom, for the following reasons:

Vodacom is among the most expensive of fibre providers and the range of packages they offer is restrictive. Their "uncapped" packages are throttled to 2 Mbps when you reach the FUP (which is not very generous). They do not have a functioning user portal. The only way you can check your usage is in a weekly e-mail, or by phoning their call centre.

After a month my experience is as follows:

Local streaming is perfect (Showmax, locally cached Youtube). I have not tried Netflix, but I plan to sign up soon.

International streaming is poor (Twitch is unwatchable).

The account is heavily shaped in the evenings and over weekends for all types of downloads. Maximum speed for downloads about 1 Mbps during these times. This is not only for torrents, but all downloads. My children struggle to download video tutorials and other course materials from their Universities' websites. Software updates crawl. It is so bad that my son connected to our old 8 Mbps ADSL line (still active because of notice period) to download some study materials. Local streaming is still good during shaping though.

I am thinking of cancelling and going back to ADSL at this stage. but there is some hope that they will go open access soon, so I will hang on for a month or two to see if things improve.

tRoN

Executive Member
Then rather go for the Telkom HomeUnlimited promo offers. Unbeatable.
I don’t understand the ISP’s. I physically see the Openserve fibre in the building but only some companies are taking the initiative to light it up. It’s the case of the early bird catches the worm.

tRoN

Executive Member
So it’s over Openserve aka Telkom Wholesale, we are not on Openserves network so I would recommend looking at Cool Ideas
Called them but some cock and bull story about getting more people in the neighborhood.
This is why is say about that some companies seem more hungry for business than others.

Yuu

Expert Member
Telkom's 10Mbps fibre deal: https://secure.telkom.co.za/today/shop/plan/Homeunlimited-new-2017/

This includes Telkom LIT and android player.

And a 2GB/m mobile data SIM and USB dongle.

And free installation and no other charges...

And the prices includes VAT.
But these deals don’t apply in all areas.
Also it’s a 25 month contract
Listen to Uncle MickeyD , also don't forget that deal is 10Mbps/5Mbps so higher upload ;-). 4x higher than your 8Mbps line's 1Mbps upload.

Get the UnlimitedHome package. :eek:

tRoN

Executive Member
Listen to Uncle MickeyD , also don't forget that deal is 10Mbps/5Mbps so higher upload ;-). 4x higher than your 8Mbps line's 1Mbps upload.

Get the UnlimitedHome package. :eek:
Uncle MickeyD...I forgot to mention that it is a business premises but I don’t need business type SLA so not sure if it will apply with Telkom?

Also it’s a 2 year contract.

@Yuu the speed is the same for both.

Yuu

Expert Member
Yes, thanks for pointing that out , i didn't notice, haha.

Definitely a better deal with Telkom with the addtional Value Added Services :).

Uncle MickeyD...I forgot to mention that it is a business premises but I don’t need business type SLA so not sure if it will apply with Telkom?

Also it’s a 2 year contract.

@Yuu the speed is the same for both.