Vodacom gave me someone's number and made my pay to change it!

sabside

I recently took up a contract with Vodacom and it turns out they gave me someone else's number...I don't mean an unused number, I mean a number that the guy was still using himself.

I started receiving calls and texts that are meant for this guy. I even received his banking notifications when he performed transactions on his bank account!

When I called Vodacom about this, they advised they would change the number but I first had to pay R150 for it! Well, seeing that I didn't have a choice, I resolved to pay the R150 to get the number changed.

It was of no concern to them this was their mistake and that they had exposed a client's information to me...utterly not concerned.

This is the next level of bad service, really Absurd!

isie

Honorary Master
I recently took up a contract with Vodacom and it turns out they gave me someone else's number...I don't mean an unused number, I mean a number that the guy was still using himself.

I started receiving calls and texts that are meant for this guy. I even received his banking notifications when he performed transactions on his bank account!

When I called Vodacom about this, they advised they would change the number but I first had to pay R150 for it! Well, seeing that I didn't have a choice, I resolved to pay the R150 to get the number changed.

It was of no concern to them this was their mistake and that they had exposed a client's information to me...utterly not concerned.

This is the next level of bad service, really Absurd!
Your post is full of assumptions, did the owner of the number call you to tell you that you took his number?
just because you getting messages doesn't mean the number currently belongs to someone.

They (vodacom) own the number again after 6 months of non usage, it get recycled and goes back into the pool, it became yours, you asked for a number change, and you paid for it. You should have just accepted the number.

This is not vodacom's fault (*technically, the system has flaws) , they exposed nothing previous owner of the number did not change his details with his bank etc.

Stokstert

Executive Member
Telkom at least sends a SMS with a warning to make some use on the number or they would cancel that number for recycling, got one yesterday.

Reactions: ES1

Ivanr

Expert Member
Your post is full of assumptions, did the owner of the number call you to tell you that you took his number?
just because you getting messages doesn't mean the number currently belongs to someone.

They (vodacom) own the number again after 6 months of non usage, it get recycled and goes back into the pool, it became yours, you asked for a number change, and you paid for it. You should have just accepted the number.

This is not vodacom's fault (*technically, the system has flaws) , they exposed nothing previous owner of the number did not change his details with his bank etc.
hi
We concur fully. It seems easier type on keyboard before just thinking a bit about the problem and then blame the company

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
OP doesn't know how numbers are recycled in SA. My current prepaid test SIM gets lots of legal threats for a certain Mr Sibanda.

ES1

What I want to know is which of the 3 cellphone companies can give me a specific cell number. I have dialled the number over the years, the number is not in use, but they always say they can not give me the number. Can any of you techies help? The number starts with 081*

krycor

Honorary Master
Probably a recycled prepaid number. The original owner did not load airtime and left it in a phone just to receive sms probably and it got recycled.
Likely this.. but the scary thing is there is no industry regulation on when this occurs.. it use to be 3 months of billing inactivity (not call/data activity.. billing.. sometimes loading airtime is not seen as a billing activity as technically its value in an account, so i mean making loading airtime and spending some minimum value which changes as MNOs redefine when they are justified to re-use the number as keeping a number costs them when trying to sign up someone new) but lately this can be as low as 30 days on some MNOs (you know who you are).. I kid you not.

I think since you have an incidence.. please log with ICASA so that this can be regulated.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
10. Suspension/Disconnection
10.1 Vodacom may from time to time, by giving you advance notice where reasonably practicable and dependent on the circumstances, suspend the Services or disconnect your Cellphone Number from the Network for a period to be determined by Vodacom, in any one of the following circumstances -
10.1.1 if the Service has not been used by you for a period in excess of 120 days (four months).
10.1.2 during any technical failure, modification or maintenance of the Network;
10.1.3 if you fail to comply with any of these terms and conditions;
10.1.4 if so directed by the Regulatory Authority; or
10.1.5 in any other instance specifically provided for in these terms and conditions.

Vodacom – SIM activity
Vodacom said it watches for outgoing usage – which includes making calls, sending an SMS, or consuming data – on its SIMs.
Recharging a SIM with airtime also qualifies as “activity”.
“If there has been no qualifying usage then the number is marked for deletion,” said Vodacom.
In the event that your number got recycled and you want it back, Vodacom said your only real chance is if you were on a contract.
“In the case of post-paid SIM cards, once the number has been deleted on our systems, it can be allocated to a new user after 180 days,” it said.
“Prepaid cellphone numbers can be made available almost immediately – within 48 hours – upon deletion.”