Vodacom gets 700Mbps downloads using 5G in South Africa

JohannesPaulsen

You guys are blessed. Both my sons live in one of those fancy complexes where they have 100Mb/s wifi. I on the other hand have to be satisfied with 6Mb/s down (3G) in Alberton. The best I get at the New Market Mall is 12 Mb/s. I do have an LTE enabled Samsung smartphone.

phex

This will exceed 1Gbps as new software versions and devices become available.
Why do you call it 5G if Vodacom does not have all equipment and software? Besides doesn't 5G supposed to be working on millimeter wave?

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
Why do you call it 5G if Vodacom does not have all equipment and software? Besides doesn't 5G supposed to be working on millimeter wave?
The bearer type (2G, 3G, 4G, 5G, etc.) is independent of the speeds achieved. Things like the amount of spectrum, antennas, etc. all affect the speed. Just like with 2G, 3G and 4G.

In this case we use 100MHz in 3.5GHz, giving speeds over 700Mb/s. Improvements in the hardware and software will push this up. I've already seen 1.3Gb/s.

5G will work on 3 major blocks of spectrum; sub-1GHz, 3-6GHz and >20GHz.

We've previously shown 17Gb/s+ on 28GHz, for example. But that was with 800MHz of spectrum.

phex

The bearer type (2G, 3G, 4G, 5G, etc.) is independent of the speeds achieved. Things like the amount of spectrum, antennas, etc. all affect the speed. Just like with 2G, 3G and 4G.

In this case we use 100MHz in 3.5GHz, giving speeds over 700Mb/s. Improvements in the hardware and software will push this up. I've already seen 1.3Gb/s.

5G will work on 3 major blocks of spectrum; sub-1GHz, 3-6GHz and >20GHz.

We've previously shown 17Gb/s+ on 28GHz, for example. But that was with 800MHz of spectrum.
Interesting.
Could you kindly further explain how releasing TV spectrum would bring the costs of telecommunications down.

kianm

Honorary Master
Wonder how much backbone capacity the towers have / would require one day when this becomes a thing for everyone

neoprema

Expert Member
You can get 99999999MB/s uplink and downlink speed, its all irrelevant when you hit their packet & traffic control and its you and a million other people fighting for an international connection thats got the daylights being throttled out of it.

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
Interesting.
Could you kindly further explain how releasing TV spectrum would bring the costs of telecommunications down.
More spectrum has a large number of benefits. More capacity is the obvious one, so you don't need to keep on building more towers. This will clearly help drive cost down.

sajunky

Honorary Master
More spectrum has a large number of benefits. More capacity is the obvious one, so you don't need to keep on building more towers. This will clearly help drive cost down.
So, they keep lobbying for more spectrum, understable. Unfortunately for investors, it is not wise to allow the cellphone industry to monopolize spectrum. Especially for those players who still charge R2/R1 OOB for data usage.

What you say about restricting VoLTE or VoWiFi to the post paid customers? It doesn't help solving spectrum shortage when majority of users still have to switch to 3G or 2G for voice calls. :)

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
What you say about restricting VoLTE or VoWiFi to the post paid customers? It doesn't help solving spectrum shortage when majority of users still have to switch to 3G or 2G for voice calls. :)
Huh?

We don't restrict VoLTE or VoWiFi to postpaid.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
At that speed I guess the OOB shark bites you faster than you can even press the DOWNLOAD button. Assuming you can actually get close to that, which, in the REAL WORLD will likely not be the case.

rubber_otter

Expert Member
I like how ICASA only released 100MHz for 3.5GHz.

They are treating a national network like a home WiFi Router. Nice.