Vodacom grows LTE with faster speeds and better coverage

Great, but I still can't use it with my Top Up contracts !

They dont mention all the trouble they are having will LTE subscribers falling off of the network. I have had to switch back to 3G and all is stable. Speeds good but I fall off of the network about 4 times a day with LTE enabled.

Something that I find disappointing is that the speeds shown in the speedtests are still a lot slower than the theoretical maximum available with HSPA+ LTE promises a lot, but so far the speed tests shown prove that the promises are not being delivered upon. The price we pay for this now is degraded 2g service levels.

The price we pay for this now is degraded 2g service levels.

There you can't really point fingers at Vodacom... they're actively trying to keep SA up-to-date with international practices... it's that k@k regulator, Ikaka, that's taking an eternity to assign the required spectrum to the operators...

Must be really frustrating for all business to deal with the likes of Icasa!

The sad part about LTE spectrum is that it has been sitting idle for many years, while the operators have been begging for it. The operators are willing to pay, which will bolster the state coffers. Consumers will benefit from faster and cheaper connectivity.

It is really sad that the DoC, and to some degree ICASA, has been messing up so badly when it comes to spectrum. And let us not forget that it is continuing right now...

It is really sad that the DoC, and to some degree ICASA, has been messing up so badly when it comes to spectrum. And let us not forget that it is continuing right now...

Maybe it's time to do a post-mortem/status update on the various projects/initiatives started by DoC/ICASA in the last say 5 or 10 years... like DTV rollout, LLU, spectrum allocation & licensing, mobile interconnect fees, etc. Will probably paint a pretty bleak picture...

Maybe it's time to do a post-mortem/status update on the various projects/initiatives started by DoC/ICASA in the last say 5 or 10 years... like DTV rollout, LLU, spectrum allocation & licensing, mobile interconnect fees, etc. Will probably paint a pretty bleak picture...

And have someone present it at parliament.

have said it a zillion times. whats the point of LTE if 1 Gig costs R289?

Just a pity that LTE modems are still so expensive. Hope they start dropping in price quickly.

Wish they (network operators) can offer decent prices and connectivity on 3G data first before throwing themselves at LTE like sluts. This is a trend that all the other operator are also following, although CellC seems to be the exception in some cases.

Back