Vodacom has a big reputational problem with fibre

Daniel Puchert

Journalist
Staff member
Vodacom's big reputational problem with fibre

New research by Analytico revealed that Vodacom’s fibre services are suffering from a poor reputation, lagging far behind competitors like Openserve and Vumatel.

Vodacom started rolling out fibre-to-the-business and fibre-to-the-home networks in business parks and gated communities a decade ago

Been on Vodacom since 2020 and had had no issues from their side. I do understand that they have a reputational problem as most of my neighbourhood are using other ISPs who they are constantly having problems with.

Vodacom has opted to hire quite poorly over the years and as a result has a very poor reputation indeed for good reason.

Here they rented a place in a neighbourhood which they're canvassing in, bundled in a whole group of staff in there who then walks around and tries to get sales door to door all day - which went on for months. Could be a general strategy employed in other towns too.

At night it's an unsavoury story with loud music every so often and booze being abused by Vodacom staff.
They were such a regular nuisance that they were referred to as "the vodas" for short.

See a few excerpts from group chats:

1716283775728.png

1716284361765.png

Vodacom staff making a fire / braai in the road:

1716283889894.png

1716284083056.png

Been on Vodacom since 2020 and had had no issues from their side. I do understand that they have a reputational problem as most of my neighbourhood are using other ISPs who they are constantly having problems with.
I left Vodacom to move to MTN so that calls and messages to my gf were cheaper. People's choices are not always easy to categorize.

Vodacom has opted to hire quite poorly over the years and as a result has a very poor reputation indeed for good reason.

Here they rented a place in a neighbourhood which they're canvassing in, bundled in a whole group of staff in there who then walks around and tries to get sales door to door all day - which went on for months. Could be a general strategy employed in other towns too.

At night it's an unsavoury story with loud music every so often and booze being abused by Vodacom staff.
They were such a regular nuisance that they were referred to as "the vodas" for short.

See a few excerpts from group chats:

View attachment 1712659

View attachment 1712671

Vodacom staff making a fire / braai in the road:

View attachment 1712663

View attachment 1712667
Don't Call Them.

I left Vodacom to move to MTN so that calls and messages to my gf were cheaper. People's choices are not always easy to categorize.

True, I also tried to call & message my on my Vodacom fibre line, call would not go through. Had to use my phone line to get through.

Article Header Reminder: Vodacom’s big reputational problem with fibre

Vodacom's big reputational problem with fibre

New research by Analytico revealed that Vodacom’s fibre services are suffering from a poor reputation, lagging far behind competitors like Openserve and Vumatel.

Vodacom started rolling out fibre-to-the-business and fibre-to-the-home networks in business parks and gated communities a decade ago
I think at least part of the problem is twofold:

- they rolled out with a closed network in many neighborhoods (and also had people sigh contracts for capped products with a minimum term.)
- people associate issues from the mobile network with the fibre network (e.g. difficulty and cost to cancel contracts).

True, I also tried to call & message my on my Vodacom fibre line, call would not go through. Had to use my phone line to get through.
I put it to you that when it comes to reputation, fibre is the least of Vodacom's problems.

Same here. Have been with them for more than 2 years. Stable connection with no issues. Was down once for a couple of hours when cables were damaged.

Vodacom and Shameel better wake up. You can only offer clients poor service for so long, then they start moving and are not likely to go back, Vodacom has offered poor cell service (and now fibre) for a while now.

Last edited:
Back