Vodacom - I have to pay for screen repair before they perform warranty repair

bewer

I took my mobile phone to Vodacom World for a warranty repair as the USB-C port is faulty (charging is sporadic and I cannot connect the phone to a PC anymore).

There is a crack on the screen as well, however it is something I have lived with for months and am not interested in repairing at this stage.

Vodacom contacted me with a quote for over R4000 to repair the screen.

They refuse to repair the charging port (which is covered by the warranty) if I they do not repair the screen as well at my cost. Apparently this is the policy.

Can this be right? Does not seem fair to be, seems like bullying tactics.

What recourse do I have?

satanboy

Psychonaut seven
I cannot understand why people walk around with cracked screens.

Adenoid Hynkel

Expert Member
Samsung S8
I remember my note 9 would moan about water damage in the port once I installed Android pie beta. It would not charge then. Perhaps you have a similar issue.

You could also try wefix to have the phone repaired. Or browse around, there are plenty shops that do repairs.

mattrudlles

Expert Member
Be careful of using a 3rd party to repair the screen - even samsung themselves - as Vodacom will say that you voided the warranty by doing so.

The Door

Honorary Master
Definitely seems like the best approach.
Actually, that depends on cost. If you repair the screen at similar cost, you'll have a new screen and charging port afterwards and way better resale value.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Actually, that depends on cost. If you repair the screen at similar cost, you'll have a new screen and charging port afterwards and way better resale value.

R350 vs R4k. And if he sells the phone after repairs he will get around R4k if he is lucky.

On a side note, my phone's charging port also giving me hassles but I found just buying a new charging cable every 2 to 3 months keeps is usable.

https://www.incredible.co.za/snug-f...credibleconnection&nosto=nosto-page-category1

bewer

I remember my note 9 would moan about water damage in the port once I installed Android pie beta. It would not charge then. Perhaps you have a similar issue.

You could also try wefix to have the phone repaired. Or browse around, there are plenty shops that do repairs.
Thanks. I've noticed that Incredible Connection is also in the Cellular Repairs arena now.

Lupus

Honorary Master
It's their phone until you've paid the final instalment of the contract, so yes it's fair.

RedViking

Nord of the South
The problem is if they open the phone, the screen will fall apart. So then fixing the charging port will be useless. But 4K for a screen...

Like BMW drivers don't have money for new ryres , Samsung Galaxy and iPhone users don't have money for a new screens.

You gonna have to take it to a cheap ass repair shop (which will still not be cheap).

ArmatageShanks

Honorary Master
The problem is if they open the phone, the screen will fall apart. So then fixing the charging port will be useless. But 4K for a screen...

Like BMW drivers don't have money for new ryres , Samsung Galaxy and iPhone users don't have money for a new screens.

You gonna have to take it to a cheap ass repair shop (which will still not be cheap).

And will be carry the risk that they'll ruin it.

Nithan15

Expert Member
don't you guys have your phones insured? my screen replacement was done by my insurer on a S8+ for R8 800.00