Vodacom in discussions to launch 5G in South Africa

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Vodacom in discussions to launch 5G in South Africa

Vodacom is in discussions with Rain and Liquid Telecom to enable it to launch 5G products in South Africa when commercial 5G routers become available.

There is a strong demand for affordable fixed-broadband services in South Africa and 5G can play a big role to satisfy this demand.

Thor

Honorary Master
Low orbit low latency microsatellites will be up being operational before we have 5G here.

Last edited:

Swa

Honorary Master
Not another dodgy deal to enable Vodacom to have something they're too useless to have on their own. Just when I thought we're going to have something good they come and pollute it.

Reactions: DXL

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I'm incredibly sceptical that Rain, Vodacom or MTN have networks that can handle 5G-level performance without crippling their users with bulls**t data caps or heavily degraded network quality.

Rain makes a song and dance about their 5G rollout, but their network quality is already wildly inconsistent. How will much faster connections for their uncapped users help matters?

DXL

Expert Member
Not another dodgy deal to enable Vodacom to have something they're too useless to have on their own. Just when I thought we're going to have something good they come and pollute it.
I agree !

We were supposed to get fixed Wireless Internet for a good price now that maybe lost thanks to Vodacom.

Vodacom will pay R50 million per month and make R200 million out of this deal.

Swa

Honorary Master
I'm incredibly sceptical that Rain, Vodacom or MTN have networks that can handle 5G-level performance without crippling their users with bulls**t data caps or heavily degraded network quality.

Rain makes a song and dance about their 5G rollout, but their network quality is already wildly inconsistent. How will much faster connections for their uncapped users help matters?
Possibly because it's due to the current slower connections? :unsure:

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Possibly because it's due to the current slower connections? :unsure:
I was trying to say that they don't come close to pushing the limits of 4G. Latency is substantially worse than 4G is capable of, and throughput speeds vary from 0.5Mbps to 40Mbps. The problem isn't 4G - it's Rain.

If their network mostly sucks under those circumstances, how is a lightning-fast connection between their towers and users going to do anything other than expose the lack of capacity on their network even more?

Swa

Honorary Master
I was trying to say that they don't come close to pushing the limits of 4G. Latency is substantially worse than 4G is capable of, and throughput speeds vary from 0.5Mbps to 40Mbps. The problem isn't 4G - it's Rain.

If their network mostly sucks under those circumstances, how is a lightning-fast connection between their towers and users going to do anything other than expose the lack of capacity on their network even more?
It's multiple factors. There's probably congestion in areas. Then they also unnecessarily throttle connections from exactly 6-11PM. No natural usage has such a fast dropoff. It's a far cry though from 4G not reaching its limits (it doesn't do so anywhere in the world) to 5G not being faster. And I firmly believe Vodacom has something to do with the issues in certain areas.

Vodacom still think 100GB for R999 is affordable
1Gbps at R2/MB!

SM-SA

Well we all know that 4G is 2G in SA, So 5G will be actually 3G..Quite a country

ThinkCentre

Expert Member
Mobile networks are more expensive than any form of cable. Nothing will come to the speed of fibre either! Vodacom in my mind, is the better network irrespective of what any test or anyone says!

recre8

Maybe try making 4g work first. Vodacom's network has really deteriorated in the last few years. What ever happened to Wifi calling btw? Mine was working for a week or two a few years ago and then never came back.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Mobile networks are more expensive than any form of cable. Nothing will come to the speed of fibre either! Vodacom in my mind, is the better network irrespective of what any test or anyone says!
MTN is objectively better than Vodacom. MyBB and others have repeatedly confirmed it with performance and coverage tests.

It's also untrue that nothing can compete with fibre to the home. Look up the 5G standard - it has a max latency of 4ms and max throughput of 20Gbps. If someone can build a robust backhaul network that uses lots of fibre-connected towers to connect to users via 5G, that will be a powerful network.