Vodacom installs solar panels in Randburg

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Vodacom installs solar panels in Randburg

Vodacom has installed solar panels capable of generating up to 34kW of power to supplement the power supply of its Randburg base station controller in Johannesburg.

The installation will help generate more than 50,000kWh of energy every year to power the hardware and will reduce the base station controller's reliance on batteries in the event of load-shedding.

Solitude

Expert Member
I'm glad. During load shedding our Vodacom fibre went down even when we had power. Just because the base station somewhere didn't have power. Hopefully this was the one.

Thor

Honorary Master
I like it. MORE must be done with solar, we need research and development money to be poured into the battery and solar technology.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I like it. MORE must be done with solar, we need research and development money to be poured into the battery and solar technology.
Batteries are so last generation.

Supercaps are the way to go now! They're getting closer to viable .......

Thor

Honorary Master
Times must have changed then, but last time I checked the price per watt is very different. Also is the discharge voltage the same as with a battery?

Can it actually be used as a replacement?

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Times must have changed then, but last time I checked the price per watt is very different. Also is the discharge voltage the same as with a battery?

Can it actually be used as a replacement?
Yes it can - as long as there's an interface that your control hardware can talk to. I foresee the likes of Victron certifying these things very soon.

That 7.1kwh unit is about the same as what I paid for my 10.24kwh.
Voltages are identical, but charging and discharge currents for the supercap can be MUCH higher. My batteries are around 95-96% efficient

SuperCap Technology Benefi ts:
• Cycle Life: Over 1 million cycles
• Round-Trip Effi ciency: >99%
• Depth of Discharge: 100% without any eff ect on cycle life.
• Charge: No limit on the rate of charge
• Discharge: No limit on rate of discharge
• Thermal Stability: Limited heat generation during charge and discharge cycles
• Temperature range: Wide operational temperature range.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Price at the moment. And certifications with various kit I guess... But it will come.
/edit and their self-discharge is quite a bit quicker than a battery, but that's not an issue in a daily cycle application

Last edited: