Vodacom launches first smartphone-only town in SA

Bad1

what a joke, why only 3 G and not 4 G, o yes they just farm workers, people in urban areas must enjoy 4G, farm workers outdated 3G technology, when those cellphones break who is going to replace them because on a farm workers minimum wage one cannot buy a smartphone,

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
what a joke, why only 3 G and not 4 G, o yes they just farm workers, people in urban areas must enjoy 4G, farm workers outdated 3G technology, when those cellphones break who is going to replace them because on a farm workers minimum wage one cannot buy a smartphone,
LTE capable devices tend to be more expensive than 3G ones, yet you complain about the cost of having to replace a handset if it breaks?

Also, if you look, 3G coverage is much more wide spread there compared to LTE.

Thor

Honorary Master
Huh? What is a smartphone only town?
Surely there are laptops, PCs etc too.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
LTE capable devices tend to be more expensive than 3G ones, yet you complain about the cost of having to replace a handset if it breaks?

My question there is, is it not worth the cost absorption for Vodacom to spend that extra R50-100 per handset to get LTE support so they can allocate more spectrum to LTE instead of 3G technologies?

Bad1

yeah, lte devices are to expensive for farm workers to have , give them old technology, give them no name brand 3g phones which will last all of their lifetime, poor farm workers still paying R149 for 1 gig from vodacom, do you honestly think vodacom will re purpose the 2g spectrum in order to offer affordable data so an average South African can stream Netflix?

Bad1

anyone notice how vodacom and mtn were forced to drop data contract prices after Telkom launched big deals of the month, why did it take so long for mtn and vodascum to do this considering vodascum and mtn crap infrastructure all paid for many times over

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
My question there is, is it not worth the cost absorption for Vodacom to spend that extra R50-100 per handset to get LTE support so they can allocate more spectrum to LTE instead of 3G technologies?
Perhaps, but 3G coverage is more pervasive at the moment and 2G is the oldest and least efficient network. Also, many people dont have 4G phones that support volte right now, while 3G can carry voice as standard without needing a specific phone that supports it in its firmware.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
yeah, lte devices are to expensive for farm workers to have , give them old technology, give them no name brand 3g phones which will last all of their lifetime, poor farm workers still paying R149 for 1 gig from vodacom, do you honestly think vodacom will re purpose the 2g spectrum in order to offer affordable data so an average South African can stream Netflix?
Ja ... I can see you are not the type of person to have a cool and calm conversation with. It is a pity because I find this topic very interesting.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Perhaps, but 3G coverage is more pervasive at the moment and 2G is the oldest and least efficient network. Also, many people dont have 4G phones that support volte right now, while 3G can carry voice as standard without needing a specific phone that supports it in its firmware.
Most of us have phones with a Snapdragon 400/615/800 or newer, those support the hardware. Most of the time nowadays it's because the mobile carriers decide not to enable VoLTE on those devices/ask the manufacturer to strip it. Any android 7.0 onward phone supports VoLTE if the manufacturer and the provider allow it.

Btw, I've had multiple people complain about not receiving calls on Vodacom lately, I know 2 of them have VoLTE, so could be something to do with that.

What's also interesting is that according to: https://media.telkom.co.za/today/media/downloads/FAQs_VoLTE_and_VoWiFi_v2_20180604.pdf Telkom would set up a list of devices that support VoLTE, the page it links to does not exist.
A nice list here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_over_LTE#Devices . My Nokia 7 Plus is on it, yet I don't have VoLTE.

EDIT:
as you can see, the provisioning is greyed out. Telkom just has to allow my device to use VoLTE and it would work.

Last edited: