Vodacom launches solar powered cell phone in SA

DeathStrike

Expert Member
cool. i need a new mxit phone.

currently using an old SE K700i.

Does this phone have gprs?

for only R300 it would be a dream to use for mxit and charge in the sun. :p

Imminent

its ment for the pooors of south africa, its got nothing to do with saving electricity but just to make more profit, this phone without solar gimmick costs like R120 at pep, so they making a big profit for this solar cell that is connected to the handset.

Solar Cells of this size costs like 2$ a pop.

bigkahuna

Now, to leave my phone charging in the sun while I go in the house and make some coffee....
...mmmm :confused: anybody seen my phone?

Na-iem

Now, to leave my phone charging in the sun while I go in the house and make some coffee....
...mmmm :confused: anybody seen my phone?

It was getting too hot in the sun, so it went to find some shade.... in someone's pocket ;)

portcullis

Cape Connect Internet Rep
Company Rep
This is not the first solar powered phone in South Africa.

That honour went to the Nokia 1610 / 1611s around 13-4 years ago.

Vodacom praat ook maar lekker k@k.

Moby Grape

Honorary Master
cool. i need a new mxit phone.

currently using an old SE K700i.

Does this phone have gprs?

for only R300 it would be a dream to use for mxit and charge in the sun. :p

ROFL
You'll have a hard time running any java on this IMO. And as for trickle charging in the sun - that thing gets HOT. No GPRS AFAIK.

Don't think of charging it in the sun when it runs flat. I can see this being useful in the transkei where you can place it on your zinc roof next to the pumkin in the sun during the day.

Last edited:

Roadrunner

Expert Member
Wonder if they tested the phone properly in SA conditions.

It gets pretty hot in summer - even to the point that the plastic components inside may start to melt if it is left in the sun.

AnimateX

While such a device might be novel, I wonder about the practicalities of it. My current phone I only have to charge once every couple of days for an hour or so, so unless this phone manages to keep itself alive by ambient light only I fail to see the point. My guess is that you would have to manually charge a solar phone from time to time as well given the irregularity of sunlight.

Also considering how much power a phone takes, I have to say the "saving electricity" part is a load of crock.

Wonder if they tested the phone properly in SA conditions.

It gets pretty hot in summer - even to the point that the plastic components inside may start to melt if it is left in the sun.

Aye, I have had warped bank cards from the sun so I sure hope they got some tough plastic there.

portcullis

Cape Connect Internet Rep
Company Rep
While such a device might be novel, I wonder about the practicalities of it. My current phone I only have to charge once every couple of days for an hour or so, so unless this phone manages to keep itself alive by ambient light only I fail to see the point. My guess is that you would have to manually charge a solar phone from time to time as well given the irregularity of sunlight.

Also considering how much power a phone takes, I have to say the "saving electricity" part is a load of crock.

Aye, I have had warped bank cards from the sun so I sure hope they got some tough plastic there.

http://press.nokia.com/PR/199701/775492_5.html

ebendl

Expert Member
I'm guessing if you're a hiker of something and spend days at a time in the Drakensberg, you could take it along. Then again, you
a) might not have cellphone coverage
b) might as well turn your normal phone off and only switch it on should you be in an emergency.

;)

ngwenyas

:D
ROFL
You'll have a hard time running any java on this IMO. And as for trickle charging in the sun - that thing gets HOT. No GPRS AFAIK.

Don't think of charging it in the sun when it runs flat. I can see this being useful in the transkei where you can place it on your zinc roof next to the pumkin in the sun during the day.

LOL

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
For 300 bucks ill get one of these for our spare sim card.

Hiking, cycling camping etc this will be great.