Vodacom looking to bring Netflix to SA

JustAsk

Expert Member
Vodacom looking to bring Netflix to South Africa

Vodacom CEO Shameel Joosub said they are looking to partner with services like Showmax and Netflix to bring video-on-demand content to subscribers.
Good lord...from sensationalist to plain frikken deceitful with the headlines now. Look at techcentral's proper and factual headline and an intro right to the point:

" Vodacom reveals big VOD plans "

Vodacom will launch its own video-on-demand offering in the new year, and is also in talks with Netflix and other players about offering a platform that integrates with its billing infrastructure.

http://www.techcentral.co.za/vodacom-reveals-big-vod-plans/61155/

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Good lord...from sensationalist to plain frikken deceitful with the headlines now. Look at techcentral's proper and factual headline and an intro right to the point:

" Vodacom reveals big VOD plans "

Vodacom will launch its own video-on-demand offering in the new year, and is also in talks with Netflix and other players about offering a platform that integrates with its billing infrastructure.

http://www.techcentral.co.za/vodacom-reveals-big-vod-plans/61155/
+1

Come on Kev. You can do better.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
But Schmuckmeel was only complaining the other day that OTT operators were using too much data. Now he wants to increase data usage.

Shalin_ZN

Expert Member
I assume once they do this, they'll expect Netflix to "invest in Vodacon's infrastructure"...

werfie

Expert Member
Watching Titanic in Full HD @ R2 per meg. You're life savings will go down with that ship.

SeRpEnT

Expert Member
Shark bait!

First there was Jaws. Then came Sharknado. Next it will be Vodacom Netflix OOB Shark attack!

krycor

Honorary Master
All this noise about OTT highlights the need for net neutrality if you ask me. Consider this.. Vodacom partners with Monochoice to their clientele perhaps offering a converged billing solution where Netflix maybe sees no significant advantage.

What stops Vodacom from degrading their network for use with Netflix who is n their preferred partner(revenue share) ? Or releasing press statements about charging their users extra because it's a non preferred network ab-using their network with no direct (other than increased data usage) investment in their network. ;)

elvis_presley

Expert Member
All this noise about OTT highlights the need for net neutrality if you ask me. Consider this.. Vodacom partners with Monochoice to their clientele perhaps offering a converged billing solution where Netflix maybe sees no significant advantage.

What stops Vodacom from degrading their network for use with Netflix who is n their preferred partner(revenue share) ?
Net neutrality wouldn't help here, they'd just choke Netflix/Showmax's streams on the peering uplink, that's outside of Net Neutrality's domain.

There's SO many ways to screw everyone over that if a company really wants to, they'll dodge in and out the loopholes and do it. One has to just hope that free market forces force them to stay honest.

Last edited:

KillerX

Expert Member
I really hope Vodacom can sort out their VOD offering ASAP. I have Vodacom FTTH available in my complex. The prices are a bit steep - with a 24 month contract. If it included a decent VOD service I would sign up tomorrow.

However at this time there are no details from Vodacom, and there is no way I'm signing a 24 month for what could turn out to be some watered down version of Netflix at high cost.