Vodacom, MTN, and Telkom subscribers hit by criminal syndicate

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Crime syndicate steals millions from Vodacom, MTN, and Telkom subscribers

A criminal syndicate has stolen millions from Vodacom, MTN, and Telkom subscribers in a sophisticated new scam.

Many mobile subscribers have discovered a number has been added to their profile without their permission, and thousands in airtime and data transferred to this number.

To steal as much money as possible, the criminals take control of subscribers’ accounts and bypass bill limits.

In one case reported to MyBroadband, fraudsters stole R8,453.44 from an MTN subscriber in a Me2U Money scam.

Corelli

Expert Member
Now I am happy when I cancelled my contract with MTN after my phone got snatched, and they refused to do a block till the next day while the criminal ran up a few thousand bucks of phonecalls. MTN immediately debited my account when they did the block. Then said its not my problem even though I had videos of both stores in the one mall that refused to block my number.

I wont ever use MTN. My boss wanted to get me an MTN contract, I told him where to shove it.

Prepaid Telkom is best. I will buy a phone cash every 6 years.

isie

Honorary Master
Crime syndicate steals millions from Vodacom, MTN, and Telkom subscribers

A criminal syndicate has stolen millions from Vodacom, MTN, and Telkom subscribers in a sophisticated new scam.

Many mobile subscribers have discovered a number has been added to their profile without their permission, and thousands in airtime and data transferred to this number.

To steal as much money as possible, the criminals take control of subscribers’ accounts and bypass bill limits.

In one case reported to MyBroadband, fraudsters stole R8,453.44 from an MTN subscriber in a Me2U Money scam.
the only reason theses fraudsters get anywhere is because MTN and the others make it so difficult for customer to report the fraud

Benedict A55h0le

Expert Member
Now I am happy when I cancelled my contract with MTN after my phone got snatched, and they refused to do a block till the next day while the criminal ran up a few thousand bucks of phonecalls. MTN immediately debited my account when they did the block. Then said its not my problem even though I had videos of both stores in the one mall that refused to block my number.

I wont ever use MTN. My boss wanted to get me an MTN contract, I told him where to shove it.

Same types of experiences with MTN and Vodacom: suddenly VAS charges appearing out of nowhere and then of course the cancellation tricks they play. I also settled for Telkom pre-paid as it seems to be less bad than others.

Dups!

Expert Member

Those have their issues as well. People have other numbers added to their prepaid profile and new sim cards taken under their names.

It is a general issue with almost all the networks. It would seem that Cell C is the least affected, maybe because they have lost clients over the years but they are relatively "safe" in that regard.

Johand

Expert Member
They believe criminals gained illegal access to accounts using compromised credentials, including usernames and passwords, of MTN employees and MTN partners.

If this is true did anybody get POPIA notifications yet? I assume that all MTN subscribers must have personal information that was exposed?

rvZA

Executive Member
If this is true did anybody get POPIA notifications yet? I assume that all MTN subscribers must have personal information that was exposed?

MTN will claim the user gave the information in a Phishing scam to fraudsters. They will never admit database leaks or hacks.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Those have their issues as well. People have other numbers added to their prepaid profile and new sim cards taken under their names.

It is a general issue with almost all the networks. It would seem that Cell C is the least affected, maybe because they have lost clients over the years but they are relatively "safe" in that regard.

I fail to see how this will work. So say the criminal adds other number to my MTN prepaid profile, and new SIM cards under my name., how does this affect me and my R100 prepaid airtime (128 minutes of calls)?

Corelli

Expert Member
MTN makes lots of profit from this, and they know its too big a headache to deal with stopping it, let alone too big a headache for anyone to question this, so they let it continue.

Lets face it but MTN likes to work in war torn regions where they make mega profits.

Countries. MTN has operations in Afghanistan, Benin, Botswana, Cameroon, Ivory Coast , Cyprus, Ghana, Guinea Bissau, Guinea Republic, Iran, Liberia, Nigeria, Republic of Congo (Congo Brazzaville), Rwanda, South Africa, Sudan, South Sudan, Swaziland, Syria, Uganda, Yemen and Zambia.

I mean Afghanistan, Iran, Liberia, Nigeria, Rwana, Sudan, South Sudan, Syria and Yemen as far as I know are all war torn conflict areas, yet MTN is happily in all of them.

Do you think really they care about their actual end clients, they will just move elsewhere to make profit.

So what's best to do? Stop using them, and use someone else instead.

Dups!

Expert Member
I fail to see how this will work. So say the criminal adds other number to my MTN prepaid profile, and new SIM cards under my name., how does this affect me and my R100 prepaid airtime (128 minutes of calls)?
I was merely pointing out how the security of these networks is lax, that even in the prepaid plans they crooks have it easy... particularly, Telkom as the poster mentioned where he/she is currently.

system32

Expert Member
+1
Prepaid FTW.

Limited liability to consumers - max loss is R100.

chrisc

Executive Member
My wife has several times bought R200 airtime (she prefers to get printed vouchers) only to load it and find 2 mins later she cannot make calls since it is nearly all gone

She went to an MTN shop with a new R250 voucher and asked the lady to load it. When doing an enquiry about airtime thereafter, the balance was R1,45. The lady handed the phone back saying "its faulty" and refused to do anything more

Clueless or stupid? Take your pick? When she complained, asking for a shop supervisor, this clerk asked her if she was dissatisfied because she is a black lady

isie

Honorary Master
My wife has several times bought R200 airtime (she prefers to get printed vouchers) only to load it and find 2 mins later she cannot make calls since it is nearly all gone

She went to an MTN shop with a new R250 voucher and asked the lady to load it. When doing an enquiry about airtime thereafter, the balance was R1,45. The lady handed the phone back saying "its faulty" and refused to do anything more

Clueless or stupid? Take your pick? When she complained, asking for a shop supervisor, this clerk asked her if she was dissatisfied because she is a black lady
Faulty people all around in this story.

Your wife is subscribed to some WASP service sort that out yesterday