Vodacom, MTN stockpiling fuel to guard against load shedding

weex

How long and frequent have the outages become? I am concerned about this from a manufacturing perspective because when the power goes out, valuable hardware will stand idle.

Spynx

Yesterday (Sunday 22/03) we did not have power from 03:00 Sunday morning to 22:00 Sunday evening because of a fire. From 14:00 there was no signal from MTN. They are fu*king useless!

eg2505

Honorary Master
Do MTN & Vodacom know something we don't!!
That they do,
Our local shopping centre started building MASSIVE gennies on empty parts of the parking lot,

This was 2years back, they probably know something about 'shedding and a potential windfall as well.......

jmak

Yesterday (Sunday 22/03) we did not have power from 03:00 Sunday morning to 22:00 Sunday evening because of a fire. From 14:00 there was no signal from MTN. They are fu*king useless!
You don't think it is maybe a little bit unreasonable to expect them to be able to run their towers for 11 hours of batteries and generators in an unexpected extreme event?

eg2505

Honorary Master
You don't think it is maybe a little bit unreasonable to expect them to be able to run their towers for 11 hours of batteries and generators in an unexpected extreme event?
When it happens it be bad, i think only the major ones will still be online, and even then not for long.....

So they only maintained uptime from 03:00 to 14:00 on your specific site ? A measly 11 hours ?

My word, the management responsible for that should be hanged publicly, that is horrible and surely has to be some kind of human rights violation.

evilstebunny

Honorary Master
I've been doing some work for FNB in Randburg the last two weeks & they've had their own fuel truck on standby the whole time. It's right there parked in the courtyard next to their stationary fuel tank. Wonder what that little exercise cost them?

Kosmik

Honorary Master
No idea about the 11 hours but it could be something as simple as fuel running out. I know our 550KVA can do about 26-28 hours on full load and that's a 700l diesel tank.

wolverinex

i have it on good authority that a major bank was told to plan for a 2 week blackout from government.

they did say it was unlikely but wanted a recovery plan in place, i can only assume the other banks got a similar request.

anyone care to confirm or deny ?

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
Opportunity?

Do MTN & Vodacom know something we don't!!
I guess its standard risk management. They have a risk manager who looks at multiple risks on a matrix of likelihoodvsimpact, and this one bubbled to the top as 'very likely - significant impact'. That translates into a project and budget.

I guess (off the top of my head) there is also the dual scenario of rolling power failures vs blackout. The articles says their target point is level 3, which is quite plausible going into winter.

My company was vulnerable during the NY storm when they city was off grid and it was difficult to drive to get diesel into Hudson street. Potential secondary plans involve switching off all non-essential functions and backup units to conserve power and operate without aircon.

It's a boost to your business case if you can grab the opportunity - either get customers to switch to your working network in desparation, or sell out wholesale services to other operators :whistling:

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
i have it on good authority that a major bank was told to plan for a 2 week blackout from government.

they did say it was unlikely but wanted a recovery plan in place, i can only assume the other banks got a similar request.

anyone care to confirm or deny ?
Yes, from a risk management point of view, they would plan for a 2 week blackout, since that is worst case scenario of total grid collapse. If they didn't plan for that, they wouldn't be doing their jobs.

Ipwn 4

Expert Member
Asb nie huil nie....

We are lucky if they manage more then an hour here.

Ipwn 4

Expert Member
Yes, from a risk management point of view, they would plan for a 2 week blackout, since that is worst case scenario of total grid collapse. If they didn't plan for that, they wouldn't be doing their jobs.
100% standard, our DC has 50 odd "hot steats" that are ready to go for a few high profile clients. When stuff does go wrong they will move to the DC where they will be running off the grid while sitting on fibre running to teraco and Neotel. Many of these DR plans have been in place for a long time and aren't specific to Eskom's issues.