Vodacom must pay 15c of every rand for every Please Call Me ever sent - Makate

Dolby

Honorary Master
I admire Makate tenacity.

When I read about this years back, I thought the case was a fart in the wind. Paid off in the end

access

Executive Member
I haven't followed this at all.

did this guy actually engineer the GSM USSD standard for please call me, or a callback as its called overseas.

or did he just put his hand up in a brain storming sessions. if that's the case I should start suing.

and why does that contractual bit not apply, where if you design something while at your employer its owned by that employer.

freddster

Expert Member
Yes, do the Please call me? Has anyone used that? What I've found is many spungers used it because everytime they want to talk they send a please call me and you ahve to pay to chat to them.

krycor

Honorary Master

did this guy actually engineer the GSM USSD standard for please call me, or a callback as its called overseas.

or did he just put his hand up in a brain storming sessions. if that's the case I should start suing.

and why does that contractual bit not apply, where if you design something while at your employer its owned by that employer.
Was listing a podcast about this via a money show on 702/CapeTalk. Basically.. He had an agreement on the idea being implemented on Vodacom. He is not however the inventor.. Apparently the inventor is is Harry Kahn? And owner of patent is MTN.

Now here is where it gets interesting.. "Call Me" as a service existed on MTN network months BEFORE Vodacom and patent and network traffic is there to support it but Vodacom rephrased as "Please Call Me" when it introduced it.

Goto wonder why MTN hasn't filed against Vodacom when they the patent holder for the idea and had a working implementation.

The Vodacom/this case is about contract agreements struck between the plaintiff and an apparent representer of Vodacom, where the agreement strict was not fulfilled. Ie has nothing to do with who invented it.

Last edited:

Clearly you're not following.

Was listing a podcast about this via a money show on 702/CapeTalk. Basically.. He had an agreement on the idea being implemented on Vodacom. He is not however the inventor.. Apparently the inventor is is Harry Kahn? And owner of patent is MTN.

Now here is where it gets interesting.. "Call Me" as a service existed on MTN network months BEFORE Vodacom and patent and network traffic is there to support it but Vodacom rephrased as "Please Call Me" when it introduced it.

Goto wonder why MTN hasn't filed against Vodacom when they the patent holder for the idea and had a working implementation.

The Vodacom/this case is about contract agreements struck between the plaintiff and an apparent representer of Vodacom, where the agreement strict was not fulfilled. Ie has nothing to do with who invented it.
Right, so MTN has every reason to want to get involved but hasn't. Perhaps it wasn't their idea to start with despite getting it to market first?

genetic

Honorary Master
you think what he is asking for is not fair?
No I don't.

He needs to be compensated for sure - a large sum too, but wanting billions for an idea is pure just greed. He never invented the system. He had an idea. Something MTN had already done.

All I'm saying is that wanting billions is just plain greedy.

SoTrue

Expert Member
you think what he is asking for is not fair?
No, certainly not. He had no money, infrastructure, customers, knowledge, programmers, billing system, etc. His contribution to the profit is extremely small, maybe a percentage of a percentage. He is not in the same position as say, an artist, that has a decent voice and industry presence.

thechamp

Honorary Master
No I don't.

He needs to be compensated for sure - a large sum too, but wanting billions for an idea is pure just greed. He never invented the system. He had an idea. Something MTN had already done.

All I'm saying is that wanting billions is just plain greedy.
I hear you , I have no idea really what the going rate for ideas such as his is, I just wanted to hear your opinion regarding the perceived greed. I think him being an accountant and his legal team are well versed on matters of money.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
MTN got blapped by Nigeria. Big $$$ fine

Now it's Voda's turn, apparently.

Who's next in the line for a serious financial blapping?