Vodacom network investment plans: more minutes, data at lower prices

j4ck455

Executive Member
“Simply cutting prices without a plan for managing the resulting increase in traffic isn’t a viable strategy – it’s a proven recipe for congestion and frustration.”

I don't understand how Vodacom can use this justification since Vodacom frequently proudly states that Vodacom spends billions of Rands annually on upgrading and maintaining its network. Surely network capacity is not the primary overriding reason for refusing to be competitive as far as tariffs are concerned?

Randux

Expert Member
Wooot? What were you guys doing all this time with the billions? Or is that just an excuse to avoid cutting prices?

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
Wooot? What were you guys doing all this time with the billions?
Building the best mobile network in South Africa.

But now we can take it to a level never seen before.

And before we get the clever retorts - as I post ALL THE TIME; South Africa is not just about myBB members. ;)

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
I don't understand how Vodacom can use this justification since Vodacom frequently proudly states that Vodacom spends billions of Rands annually on upgrading and maintaining its network. Surely network capacity is not the primary overriding reason for refusing to be competitive as far as tariffs are concerned?

You are very wrong, my old friend. Let's have a beer soon. ;)

marine1

Honorary Master
Building the best mobile network in South Africa.

But now we can take it to a level never seen before.

And before we get the clever retorts - as I post ALL THE TIME; South Africa is not just about myBB members. ;)
We represent great many people in this country, we may not be relevant to you or Vodacom but we are the voice of many.
Its not all about you having beers with us.
You will learn unfortunately that high prices are crappy service will only get you so far.
Cell C will continue to steal more and more business from Vodacom.
We are sick of being offered crap signal and service for top dollar prices.
I would love to know what they are doing with all the billions in profits. Perhaps stop wasting money on sport sponsorships?

cavedog

Honorary Master
I'm porting my number from cellc to vodacom prepaid.....

I think Vodacom can be great but sadly MTN overtook vodacom with LTE coverage. Vodacom data bundles are a bit more expensive on the prepaid range.

That said vodacom have some freaking awesome promotions going but yeah thats just it. Its promotions. Once vodacom can have a call rate of R1 per minute to all networks on prepaid and 1GB data for R99 on prepaid then count me in Vodacom will be the network I will use.

Now I'm just porting to vodacom for the Give Happy and micro bundle promo. When its finished I will be forced to move on I guess.

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
We represent great many people in this country, we may not be relevant to you or Vodacom but we are the voice of many.
Actually, you don't and you're not.

You (and me) represent the priviledged people of this country who can afford to buy R8000 smartphones and use computers and laptops when we feel like it.

What you do not represent is the tens of millions of people who can only dream of the latest iPhone, Blackberry or Sammy. Who gets up every morning at 3 or 4 to be in time for a 3 hour commute to work.

In your narrow world-view, everyone is like you, but for operators like Vodacom, there is a very wide range of customers out there who are all equally important.

ld13

Honorary Master
micro bundle promo

I know about the Give Happy ... R1 for oddly timed bundles of stuff. But what micro bundle promo are you talking about? Unless you see the Give Happy promo as micro bundles - makes sense in a way.

cavedog

Honorary Master
I know about the Give Happy ... R1 for oddly timed bundles of stuff. But what micro bundle promo are you talking about? Unless you see the Give Happy promo as micro bundles - makes sense in a way.

R3.99 for unlimited voice minutes from time of purchase for 1 hour....

Very nice promo. Works well with confrence calling too..... I connected 4 calls in confrence calls and worked fine and was only charged R3.99 to buy the bundle.

Its obviously just vc to vc but couple that with the everyday per second price plan that charges R1.20 per minute to other networks I think its a awesome deal. Power hour is another awesome deal that allows you 60 vc to vc minutes for 1 day for R5.

Basically if you are on prepaid and manage these promotions right you basically pay very very cheap vc to vc and R1.20 to other networks... Nice savings until you decide to use it in a smartphone then all the savings gets eaten up by the average to high data charges

Randux

Expert Member
Jannie in a space of 6 months are we going to see real price changes on Vodacoms side, promotions excluded?
BTW I'm not priveleged (like some) I'm a broke student who lives in a township, who wishes one day for affordable data that's it.

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert

Micro bundles are small demonination, time based bundles.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Janee. Did not know of these. Thx! Will steal a prepaid sim and give them a bash.

Always keep and eye on this code *111*60#

You will be saving money if you do. All the promotions are there. from data to voice minutes and sms bundles..... Its not really that expensive if you manage the promotions right. Something most people don't know or don't want to try....

I'm really crazy when it comes to price and make sure I benefit from all the promotions on all the networks.... Bets way to save money.... :)

DXL

Expert Member
Please don't fool yourself .......about Mybb

Actually, you don't and you're not.

You (and me) represent the priviledged people of this country who can afford to buy R8000 smartphones and use computers and laptops when we feel like it.

What you do not represent is the tens of millions of people who can only dream of the latest iPhone, Blackberry or Sammy. Who gets up every morning at 3 or 4 to be in time for a 3 hour commute to work.

In your narrow world-view, everyone is like you, but for operators like Vodacom, there is a very wide range of customers out there who are all equally important.

If this was the case why did Vodacom charge these humble people R2-85c per minute all these years.
Yet the contract customers were charge R1-49 per minute.
If it were not for Cell-C taking the Bold Step and reducing prices and public pressure to get termination rates down, Vodacom will still be making a handsome profit on Termination rates and Overcharging the poor the you so much care for. My Broadband is well represented by a very intelligent set of people who are very concerned about the economy and I wish to advise that a lot of Boycotting of Vodacom started through well organised members via this Forum.

Tomorrow I will list the achievements against Vodacom that proved fruitful.

Please don't ever understimate the power of Mybb Members Forum.

We are not cheap talkers we have had alot of action behind the scenes.

sajunky

Honorary Master
Once vodacom can have a call rate of R1 per minute to all networks on prepaid and 1GB data for R99 on prepaid then count me in Vodacom will be the network I will use.
By today standards 75c to all networks, 25c on home network, 65c international, 2c/MB (R20/GB), excluding recharge bonuses. It is what you should be looking for.

Last edited:

marine1

Honorary Master
If this was the case why did Vodacom charge these humble people R2-85c per minute all these years.
Yet the contract customers were charge R1-49 per minute.
If it were not for Cell-C taking the Bold Step and reducing prices and public pressure to get termination rates down, Vodacom will still be making a handsome profit on Termination rates and Overcharging the poor the you so much care for. My Broadband is well represented by a very intelligent set of people who are very concerned about the economy and I wish to advise that a lot of Boycotting of Vodacom started through well organised members via this Forum.

Tomorrow I will list the achievements against Vodacom that proved fruitful.

Please don't ever understimate the power of Mybb Members Forum.

We are not cheap talkers we have had alot of action behind the scenes.

Well said. I guess the millions of page hits on mybb dont mean anything in his world.
Oh and by the way, I am willing to bet there are far more people with smartphones used by poorer people than he would care to admit.
So again as you said, if the poor seem to represent the majority why do Vodacom keep raping them? :rolleyes:

D tj

Expert Member
Jannie, you said:
"You (and me) represent the priviledged people of this country who can afford to buy R8000 smartphones and use computers and laptops when we feel like it.
In your narrow world-view, everyone is like you, but for operators like Vodacom, there is a very wide range of customers out there who are all equally important".

I was a Talk 500 subscriber who ported to CellC because of the one thing in your last sentence: Vodacom gave me the impression I was not at all important, and the least well off members in our society, cows to be milked ... I felt they really were ripping off the poor via prepaid high call costs and the OOB shark.
I also agree with an earlier poster, sport sponsorship is nonsense.

To my mind the civic and moral duty of a communications company is to facilitate communication in the least difficult and most cost effective way, cheapest, in case this point is misunderstood!!!

Please, this is not intended as a Jannie bash post, but merely what I saw and feel...

Last edited:

j4ck455

Executive Member
You are very wrong, my old friend. [highlight]Let's have a beer soon.[/highlight] ;)

At the risk of sounding like Steve saying "you really know how to light up a conversation", great idea :)

I can understand network capacity being one of several important factors, but I don't see how network capacity can be the only reason that gets given to the media.

Its not all about you having beers with us.

@marine1, Jannie's reply to my post was not about placating me, we are actually old friends (Jannie knows that I have a few unflattering things to say about Vodacom, MTN, Cell C, Telkom, ICASA, the DoC, the cANCer party, SANRAL, etrolling, the list doesn't stop there).

Last edited: