Vodacom network suffers downtime due to cable break (20 May 2011)

rory

Also affected east london for a short while. Multiple sms's received, no signal and it rebooted some nokia phones.
now seems ok.

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
No redundancy in network?

Self-healing rings?

The diversity did come up (much better now we use our own rings ;)) but there was another issue with the STP. Not sure if it was related or just happened to be two faults in succession.

MickeyD

RIP
The diversity did come up (much better now we use our own rings ;)) but there was another issue with the STP. Not sure if it was related or just happened to be two faults in succession.
AAhhhhh... so MyBB should update their article?

ajax

Executive Member
So ironic, we're having a company conference in Stellenbosch and we decided to go with Vodacom for our data needs. Terribly slow all week so today I brought my Cell C speedstick. Once I plugged that into the Netgear everything's whoosh again.

Speedster

Honorary Master
So ironic, we're having a company conference in Stellenbosch and we decided to go with Vodacom for our data needs. Terribly slow all week so today I brought my Cell C speedstick. Once I plugged that into the Netgear everything's whoosh again.

Viva the Whooosh!

Joker

Expert Member
Whether the break and STP outage has affected Cape Town is unknown at this point.

Was unable to make calls and no 3G early this morning. Been fine since 10 though.

cyberarmy

Expert Member
No wonder my ADSL this morning via the Vodacom Business network is so slow....Better now and hope it will be fixed soon.

Psylene

Vodacom said that the effects are felt largely in Gauteng, but there may have been a knock-on effect in Durban.

What on Earth is a knock-on effect? #corporatebanter

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
No redundancy in network?

Self-healing rings?

AAhhhhh... so MyBB should update their article?

The fact that the issue was related to an STP fault which seemed to be caused by a cable break was mentioned in the article. When we asked about redundancy the only information available at the time was that the STP fault was to blame for the redundancy not working properly.