Vodacom Protect App

MyDraadloos

Expert Member
I think you might have rolled out this product before having done sufficient testing.

When registering app on phone you are asked to create a numeric PIN.

Logging into the web that PIN won't work as the web login or registration requires an alphanumeric password. I had to figure out a work around for this.

Once logged it it seems to work OK.

Clicking on Help however will land you with a Page Not Found error.

I wonder if the same mistakes will be present in the Premium version as well?

Well the answer is simple. The same as it would be for all users of this app. They are not going to spend any money trying to find out the answer.

Poor effort for trying to shove software onto people.

This is just another reason why Unlock or Jailbreak their phones, so they don't have to deal with badly designed Beta software.

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
What is this Vodacom Protect App?

Is it supposed to protect you or Vodacom?

StrontiumDog

Honorary Master
Agreed, it's buggy. I tried logging in to the website when testing to see if I could wipe my Galaxy S3 remotely before selling it. I didn't get very far...

vodacom protect error Blanked out number.jpg

Sorry for the thread necro :p

Madhand

It seems that you need to use the McAfee website to rest you pin....
That's what i was hoping when i got the e-mail with all my details and a "support Pin" to unlock it my device.
But Alas it DOES NOT WORK...they state that the support pin only unlocks your phone and you can not use it to log onto the website...surprise surprise it does the exact opposite.
Now i get to wait an hour to try again....

sk33Lo

I have a really frustrating problem. My Samsung S4 mini is locked with the message 'this device is locked. Please contact the owner at to return the device. Thank you'. It says that the device is locked for security reasons. Unable to connect to the server.

I do not have Vodafone protect and don't recall registering for it or any of that, so when I try and reset the password it says that there is no account registered with the phone number.

WTF is going on :mad:

:crying:

StrontiumDog

Honorary Master
^ Maybe you installed it but forget that you did? Contact Vodacom or go into one of their stores. They should be able to help? I wouldn't trust the Vodacom Protect App website further than I can figuratively hurl it.

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
I have a really frustrating problem. My Samsung S4 mini is locked with the message 'this device is locked. Please contact the owner at to return the device. Thank you'. It says that the device is locked for security reasons. Unable to connect to the server.

I do not have Vodafone protect and don't recall registering for it or any of that, so when I try and reset the password it says that there is no account registered with the phone number.

WTF is going on :mad:

:crying:
Boot your phone into safe mode

sk33Lo

Booted it in safe mode, still wouldn't budge. In the end I decided to just wipe it clean completely. Thank **** that I was saving stuff on a micro SD card, and not on the phone's internal memory.

shebeen

I had the app installed on my phone, and registered with the web.

phone stolen at gunpoint on tuesday. sim card blocked tuesday and simswap done wed.
prey protect not registering

We found suspects as there were eyewitnesses, but no evidence of stolen goods.
Then i get an email from vodacom protect this morning - say that a new simcard has been put in my device is xxxx3411, go log onto protect.vodacom.co.za
no joy there, lots of phonecalls, eventually work out that i need to reregister with new simcard id number and BOTH devices will come up on my protect.vodacom profile.
nothing happens.

IS there anyway vodacom can help me find these guys to prove they did it. cops are keen. just need vodacom to say where the phone is, or at least give the full number.

shebeen

ok. update. the problem was the actual protect website wasn't working. but now the phone is not on/locating.

here's the email that really irritates me, they give you a piece of info and then refuse to go further

[Vodafone Protect Alert] SIM changed on your device

(27my phone number),

Vodafone Protect has detected that the SIM card in your device has been changed to *******3411 on 09 July 2015 09:48:08 AM.

This is an automatically generated alert.

If you did not change your SIM or suspect that your device is being misused, you can log into http://protect.vodacom.co.za and lock your device.
You can unlock your device with your Vodafone Protect PIN

AirWolf

Honorary Master
Worst piece of crap I have ever seen. Whether you register or not this app will lock you phone when the sim is changed.

redspark

Expert Member
Worst piece of crap I have ever seen. Whether you register or not this app will lock you phone when the sim is changed.

Happened to me today :mad:
Went to protect.vodacom.co.za and reset the password using the password recovery tool (via email). All working now.