Vodacom says dumping of cheap 2G phones in SA is a big problem

HS2000

"New technologies such as 4G provide a better voice experience"

Yea..... Not so much.

This is 4g signal 20210501_102449.jpg

I can't receive a call period.

vs 2g signal & a phone call actually being possible.

Attachments

• 20210501_102809.jpg
    20210501_102809.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 121

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Didn't know phones still show a volte symbol. Mine doesn't.

system32

Expert Member
Perhaps Vodacom/MTN/Telkom/Cell-C/etc should spend a bit more time telling/educating everyone that 2G will be switched off soon.

People on MyBB are aware of it, but no one else.

If everyone knows 2G is going away, the dumping will stop as people will stop buying 2G.

Louis72

Expert Member
"New technologies such as 4G provide a better voice experience"

Yea..... Not so much.

This is 4g signal View attachment 1060995

I can't receive a call period.

vs 2g signal & a phone call actually being possible.
This is a pure Vodacom issue. MTN LTE is constant and more reliable than 3G was at anytime in the past.

LTE does work when your network is not a steaming pile of manure.

marine1

Honorary Master
Every time one of these PR propaganda experts make a statement I check to see if my wallet is still there. or if the expert stole it.
Every time they speak its just lies and lies and rubbish to support their own pockets

susefan

Perhaps Vodacom/MTN/Telkom/Cell-C/etc should spend a bit more time telling/educating everyone that 2G will be switched off soon.

People on MyBB are aware of it, but no one else.

If everyone knows 2G is going away, the dumping will stop as people will stop buying 2G.
What percentage of the population know difference between 2g, 3g , 4g.... I guess very small. If told 2g will be phased out soon majority will not know what that means.

MeestaR

Expert Member
I'm getting so many spam calls, like I have to block them everyday.
I want to make a device, a 2G GSM device that will produce a very high pitch frequency to the operator's ear like those buzzers... an 'eeeeeeee', when receiving a forwarded call.
But, with a warning beforehand...

There is many other countries that also gets 2g devices from china or wherever. Not just South Africa.
Why is VC complaining? They should just keep on maintaining 2G for a while. Your common gate openers operate on 2g, because the modules is cheaper than 3g capable modems/modules.
There are many other GSM devices that rely on the 2G network to operate. To ask manufacturers to switch to 3G and/or replacing the 2G devices with 3G, it's like requesting a sunroof for your motorcycle. Impossible.

Last edited:

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
I'm getting so many spam calls, like I have to block them everyday.
I want to make a device, a 2G GSM device that will produce a very high pitch frequency to the operator's ear like those buzzers... an 'eeeeeeee', when receiving a forwarded call.
But, with a warning beforehand...

There is many other countries that also gets 2g devices from china or wherever. Not just South Africa.
Why is VC complaining? They should just keep on maintaining 2G for a while. Your common gate openers operate on 2g, because the modules is cheaper than 3g capable modems/modules.
There are many other GSM devices that rely on the 2G network to operate. To ask manufacturers to switch to 3G and/or replacing the 2G devices with 3G, it's like requesting a sunroof for your motorcycle. Impossible.
It’s not impossible, there’s better tech out there. Vodacom just needs to incentivise the upgrade or people can change providers.