Vodacom showcases Africa’s first 5G mobile phone trial

Daruk

Honorary Master
Article is useless without speeds achieved...
No please let's not give the masses ridiculous expectations running speed tests on 5G when it's 1:1 contention lol.

Can someone remind me what the barrier to just any company doing this? Lack of working equipment? I assume we're still far from production and layers are still being developed...

WAslayer

Expert Member
No please let's not give the masses ridiculous expectations running speed tests on 5G when it's 1:1 contention lol.
I get you, I just want to see how close to the theoretical speed they are getting..

Joseph matane

Can someone remind me what the barrier to just any company doing this? Lack of working equipment? I assume we're still far from production and layers are still being developed...
Noted, my question to Vodacom is how many base stations support or have this kind of equipment already in % form #NokiaAirScale I know other province's use Huawei equipment but still Massive MIMO can be applied too

Swa

Honorary Master
So they can launch it today without any issues? Otherwise it's not commercially ready.

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert

(lack of) Spectrum is the big issue but device availability and costs will still be a factor in the short-term. But these will rapidly resolve as they always do.

Spectrum though......

Daruk

Honorary Master
(lack of) Spectrum is the big issue but device availability and costs will still be a factor in the short-term. But these will rapidly resolve as they always do.

Spectrum though......
Ugh... They're finally going to release their grip when we've moved on to Wireless technologys telepathy replacement :whistling:

What is it about this government that can't fight it's way out of a wet paper bag keeping capable companies from contributing in a meaningful way? Maybe we should all just become subsistence farmers.

Stevewarren

The cheek of Ramaphosa to criticize America about 5g but our government never even released 4g spectrum.

Dan C

Honorary Master

Spectrum though......
I can't see affordable devices in the near future