Vodacom Smart+ and Red contracts – New vs old prices and value

RoganDawes

Expert Member
I think I have found the solution, with my current approach (well, it works well for me, at any rate!)

I took a data-only contract, 3GB@R149/month, which is a substantial discount over their prepaid data rates (R1GB@R149 on prepaid). I then top up with funds for voice minutes on a prepaid basis (and an additional ~R10/month for caller id!).

My primary use for my phone is data, so this works well for me, and I can even tether my laptop/tablet to it when I need to. The data also rolls over up to 6GB if I don't use too much during the month, so I'm generally quite happy.

cozinsky

Expert Member
I think I have found the solution, with my current approach (well, it works well for me, at any rate!)

I took a data-only contract, 3GB@R149/month, which is a substantial discount over their prepaid data rates (R1GB@R149 on prepaid). I then top up with funds for voice minutes on a prepaid basis (and an additional ~R10/month for caller id!).

My primary use for my phone is data, so this works well for me, and I can even tether my laptop/tablet to it when I need to. The data also rolls over up to 6GB if I don't use too much during the month, so I'm generally quite happy.
I did not know that it is possible to top up a data contract with voice minutes. I think you have a good solution there.

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member

Good move. The operators don't seem to realise people are taking out packages based on gigabytes (which are quickly chowed up) and not minutes, which are often not even used up. Adding more minutes to the bundle seems better for their analyst reports than for customers.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
That red more data is actually pretty decent as it includes a device subsidy.