Vodacom Speed Test & Results: speed.vodacom.co.za & speedtest.net

cavedog

Honorary Master
IMG-20170513-WA0035.jpg

nu11

My LTE speed on my phone Samsung Galaxy S7 peaks at 60Mb/s at home but but on my Huawei B315 router I only get around 40Mb/s. Might this be an APN issue, since the APN on the router I believes defaults to internet but on my phone it's lte.vodacom.za?

cavedog

Honorary Master
My LTE speed on my phone Samsung Galaxy S7 peaks at 60Mb/s at home but but on my Huawei B315 router I only get around 40Mb/s. Might this be an APN issue, since the APN on the router I believes defaults to internet but on my phone it's lte.vodacom.za?

Unlikely. I think it's more a lte and lte a thing and connecting to different towers and noise.

On my s8 4G+ means lte advanced and 4G is normal lte. Since coverage of towers can overlap it speed differences could be from different towers.

nu11

Don't think that's the case, there is definitely no LTE advanced where I live and I'm definitely not picking up more than one tower. I live in Lydenburg, Mpumalanga. Super small town. Haha.

But thank you anyway.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Don't think that's the case, there is definitely no LTE advanced where I live and I'm definitely not picking up more than one tower. I live in Lydenburg, Mpumalanga. Super small town. Haha.

But thank you anyway.

You can try changing the APN but since they ditch the vlive billing the apns is all the same and does not affect the speed it might be something else though.

nu11

You can try changing the APN but since they ditch the vlive billing the apns is all the same and does not affect the speed it might be something else though.

You were totally right, changing the APN didn't do anything. Wonder what else it could be?

cavedog

Honorary Master

But thank you anyway.

I see you live in Lydenburg... You have Rain and Vodacom can roam on Rain and since you have a S7 you make use of carrier aggregation on Rain so you are indeed getting LTE Advanced on your Vodacom simcard. ;)

Basically everyone on Vodacom that live within Rain coverage has LTE-A and it will switch to LTE-A automatically.

gerard6

Speed Vodacom LTE always was good enough, since Friday 15 December 2017 dropped to up/download 1 (ONE) Megabit/sec. Area is known by different names: Maroeladal (Google Maps), Needwood (official name) in larger Broadacres area. My house is within Vodacom LTE coverage, using since Septmber 2015 their Broadband Connection LITE LTE service, renewed by this November. Have asked for technician to come out (which is part of their contract for 1 visit) but had to do 5 (FIVE) speedtests and send to the helpdesk agent. I suspect a tower failure, last week could stream HD television without a glitch.