Vodacom stole my airtime - This is what happened

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Vodacom stole my airtime - This is what happened

South African mobile operators recently implemented new out-of-bundle (OOB) data depletion systems to comply with ICASA's new regulations, which require that customers opt-in to OOB data usage.

These new systems are still prone to error, however, as I discovered when my data bundle recently ran out and my airtime was automatically depleted.

Thor

Honorary Master
They can learn a thing or two from Cell C's system.

IssiAmd

Bunch of thieves
Billed me double subs a few months back
Took it up with them was told it was an error and they would credit me
I wonder how many "errors" they make each month which go undetected.
A few hundred rand will get picked up on a personal account, on a business account no chance.

Dups!

Exactly what I experienced! The consultant said she escalated the matter to the technical department and they will respond in the next 48 hours. They did respond in less than 24 hours to inform me that the matter was resolved.

Unfortunately the matter was never resolved, I was still billed the out of bundle rates.

I decided to stop using Vodacom for data services and went with MTN. I have never experienced any disappearing airtime on MTN.

Richard1223

They phoned me last month with their R119 for 40 gig plan and said I would be able to transfer the data. Naturally lying. I canceled and they still billed me for it. Even though they knew that they lied. I will not recommend anyone to go to Vodacom.

DLK

Same data disappearing act happen to me. 40 Gigs in 20 days from two different numbers. It's time consumimg to get through to the right section for assistance. Not the first time but I watch with a Hawkeye. Thanks to Mybroadband we'll unite and overcome this practice

v3gout

Even after opting out of data refill a number of times, I still get messages saying that R3 for 10MB has automatically been charged against my airtime. And I don't even use mobile data! Vodacom thieves!

ttygt

What is the Vodacom USSD he used to enure not being opt-in?
I see *135*6# to opt in, is that what he used?

So is it safer to just do nothing?

Swa

Honorary Master
So when users complain their data just disappears they're told it can't happen but then staff writer says it did and it's automatically true? I smell another rat here.

wingnut771

Executive Member
i wonder how much money one can make in the time it takes to "find the problem and fix it".

Mbuzi

Expert Member
Also happened to me, they credited my account with R60 that they had "erroneously" stolen