Vodacom to hike prices

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Vodacom to hike prices

Vodacom has announced tariff changes to a number of its packages to align with ICASA’s End-User and Subscriber Service Charter regulations which take effect from 28 February 2019.

The company said these changes would include an out-of-bundle (OOB) rate reduction of up to 70%, in addition to revised data rollover mechanisms.

Soul Assassin

Honorary Master
Same here, although my contract only ends in July. Been with them for 15 or so years now, but this will be the last.

Increased value my ass
Basically the same thing, around 15 years and my contract ends in the middle of the year but I see exactly zero reason to stay.

4ftersh0ck

My wife and I both have contracts with Vodacom and we won't be renewing either....Afrihost or FNB Connect will be the way forward for us.

Emjay

Executive Member
Interesting. Telecoms has been a deflationary market for the last decade at least. All input costs are increasing and increased pressure to offer more value for less, this was bound to happen.

I am however surprised contracts are still a thing. Pay as you go rates have been far cheaper for a long time now. My cellular bill went down substantially after moving across. I just have to self fund my own handset.

Rabobi

Executive Member
Interesting. Telecoms has been a deflationary market for the last decade at least. All input costs are increasing and increased pressure to offer more value for less, this was bound to happen.

I am however surprised contracts are still a thing. Pay as you go rates have been far cheaper for a long time now. My cellular bill went down substantially after moving across. I just have to self fund my own handset.
Its becuz people like fancy phones they cant afford cash. So they take contracts. Not rocket science really

STORMERSFAN

So.if I wanna transfer 5 gigs from my one contract to my main number its gonna cost me R100?

PsYTraNc3

Expert Member
Probably going to go the Telkom Freeme route - the SO is on it, so the free calls alone mean I'm going that route
Do it!

I'm prepaid, wife on a contract with Telkom that gives her 10GB data, calls and P20 lite for R299pm.
I transfer half of that data to myself so only buy airtime for my calls.

AnimateX

I might have checked wrong but I think you can get 1GB and 100 minutes from Telkom for R130, sounds good to me.
Even the prepaid Freeme bundle from Telkom is not too bad (R100):

1GB data
Free 100 SMSs
Free 300 minutes to Telkom Mobile and Telkom Fixed lines
Valid for 31 days after recharging
Free 500MB for Instant Messaging and VoIP

EDIT: Yes you are correct, add another R30 for a Freeme voice bundle and get 100 mins all-networks calls.

Last edited:

Dups!

Do it!

I'm prepaid, wife on a contract with Telkom that gives her 10GB data, calls and P20 lite for R299pm.
I transfer half of that data to myself so only buy airtime for my calls.
How many minutes calls? Telkom seems to have great deals, pity about the network. Where I am it is worse than Cell C. So, it is a no-go for me.