Vodacom to introduce Android smartphone for under R1,000

Roadrunner

Expert Member
I have a Vodafone VF845 which I got for R900, which is also an Android phone. Nothing new there.

The slower processors and resistive touch screens on these phones do not really leave you with a pleasant impression about the Android OS.

Last edited:

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
I have a Vodafone VF845 which I got for R900, which is also an Android phone. Nothing new there.

The slower processors and resistive touch screens on these phones do not really leave you with a pleasant impression about the Android OS.
There is a Vodafone V945 on gsmarena that has a capacitive touch screen and 600Mhz processor I think. But dont know if this is the one that might be released by Vodacom. Interesting though.

nomadmp

why does it always/most of the times have to be under R1000 and the item always cost R999. Fully agree with Roadrunner on VF845,at least got the Desire later.

stricken

Expert Member
Any idea which VERSION of Android this thing is running. If its anything below 2.1 its pointless.

EDIT: Sorry. Will help if i read the article hey. : ) 2.2 I see... nice.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Any idea which VERSION of Android this thing is running. If its anything below 2.1 its pointless.

EDIT: Sorry. Will help if i read the article hey. : ) 2.2 I see... nice.
Oh crap...sorry...I only see now this is a new article. I was responding to the one posted yesterday lolz hahahaha.

kds

I am not too clued up on touch screens, but capacitive == k@k, right?

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
2.0 megapixel camera yikes.
It is a budget phone. If you want to take pictures that can be sent to National Geograpic or Playboy/Girl for publication...then get a high end phone with 5MP or higher cam. :)

Species8472

Hmm, that is about the same spec as my G1, and my G1 does not like Gingerbread all that much :mad:

For a budget phone I suppose it is ok, but I would rather pick up an HTC Wildfire on a R98 MTN contract...

Jan

Drifting in the black
It's good to hear that the VF845's price has been dropped - last we heard of it was last year when it launched for around R1.4k (http://mybroadband.co.za/news/cellular/14468-Cheapest-Android-smartphone.html).

That's where I hope the VF858 improves on its predecessors. It has a capacitive screen (albeit low res) at least, but the older and slower ARMv6 processor is worrying. I'll reserve judgement until I've played with the phone a little, though. Maybe if it has enough RAM it'll perform well enough.

Ndanileka

I'm definitely gonna get this phone... better than a Curve 8520 imo... then slap in a cell c simcard... thank you ICASA no network locked phones in SA

rodga

Executive Member
It's good to hear that the VF845's price has been dropped - last we heard of it was last year when it launched for around R1.4k (http://mybroadband.co.za/news/cellular/14468-Cheapest-Android-smartphone.html).

That's where I hope the VF858 improves on its predecessors. It has a capacitive screen (albeit low res) at least, but the older and slower ARMv6 processor is worrying. I'll reserve judgement until I've played with the phone a little, though. Maybe if it has enough RAM it'll perform well enough.
the vf845 can be found for R650 at CNA, R699 at clicks and game

Fox1

Expert Member
At that price is there anything better? Not really ;)

Elimentals

Honorary Master
I wonder if they finally going to bring in some ZTE phones?

The Blade would be in this price range and the Libra should be just over it.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Not really news on the price front, but the capacitive touch screen is interesting.

If the camera is anything like the one on the 845 then it'll be 200% useless though. Its ridiculous how still you have to hold it to prevent massive motion blur. 50%+ of all the pics I took are unrecognizable....and I've got pretty steady hands.

Also, vodafone for some reason ships them with a horrible default keyboard. Switching to Android standard keyboard halved the mistakes I make.

On the whole those cheap androids provide good value for money though.