Vodacom to introduce Android smartphone for under R1,000

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Question:

I have seen that on some phones the standby and talk time is better on 3G than 2G? Is this a typo or is there a reason for this. 3G is supposed to be harsher on your battery life not so?

Stand-by Up to 250 h (2G) / Up to 380 h (3G)
Talk time Up to 4 h (2G) / Up to 4 h 30 min (3G)

Elimentals

Honorary Master
Question:

I have seen that on some phones the standby and talk time is better on 3G than 2G? Is this a typo or is there a reason for this. 3G is supposed to be harsher on your battery life not so?
I always wondered myself as I had the opposite experience

DeathStrike

Expert Member
it will be slow as a snail with that 528mhz processor.

but then again its entry level.

InfernoZA

I would be more enthusiastic if it were the Ideos that would be released into the SA market. What would the data charges be on this new phone though? As it is not subsidized by RIM as is the case with all the BlackBerry's out there. If their pricing is competitive as is the case with CellC, then I would go for it, otherwise I will just buy the phone online, slap in a CellC data SIM and enjoy pure awesomeness from there on...

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
I would be more enthusiastic if it were the Ideos that would be released into the SA market.
HUAWEI IDEOS U8150 + 30 MB DATA FOR 3 MONTHS + 20 FREE SMS PM FOR 24 MONTHS FREE ON TOP UP, 135 (PER MINUTE BILLING ONLY

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Question:

Def wrong. 3G is way heavier on the battery. I know they really battled with this when 3G started...3G munched ~2x as much juice in the first designs. A combination of better 3G tech and better LI batteries fixed this mostly, but its still not as good as 2G. I reckon today its like 20% diff.

6ghost

Question:

i have seen this as well, maybe they building gsm now on top of 3g, whereas in the past gsm would been a priority, could explain the battery life

Hackson

I would be more enthusiastic if it were the Ideos that would be released into the SA market. What would the data charges be on this new phone though? As it is not subsidized by RIM as is the case with all the BlackBerry's out there. If their pricing is competitive as is the case with CellC, then I would go for it, otherwise I will just buy the phone online, slap in a CellC data SIM and enjoy pure awesomeness from there on...
Last I checked Vodacom and MTN ran on the same bands while Cell C ran on its own bands. I have a Huawei modem from MTN and while my Vodacom sim works, I have to fiddle with the bands to get Cell C working and still I end up on EDGE on a 3G hardware.

InfernoZA

Last I checked Vodacom and MTN ran on the same bands while Cell C ran on its own bands. I have a Huawei modem from MTN and while my Vodacom sim works, I have to fiddle with the bands to get Cell C working and still I end up on EDGE on a 3G hardware.
True. But I have enjoyed HSUPA (note that it is not HSDPA, big difference) speeds via my CellC data sim in a Vodafone branded Huaweii USB dongle. Think it depends more on one's area as well :)

j4ck455

Executive Member
True. But I have enjoyed HSUPA (note that it is not HSDPA, big difference) speeds via my CellC data sim in a Vodafone branded Huaweii USB dongle. Think it depends more on one's area as well :)
Just checking, you do know that the U in HSUPA refers to Uplink/Upload, and that the D in HSDPA refers to Downlink/Download?