Vodacom "Top Dog" voucher scam (False advertising)

Vodacom enticed me into a 24-month contract with a R10 000 Top Dog voucher to redeem for study material. I eagerly registered on www.topdog.co.za and armed with my voucher, I entered the site, and it looked fairly interesting. Great was my surprise when I noticed some subjects are only available from grades 11 - 12, whereas the voucher clearly states "This voucher gives you access to ALL grades from 4-12"

This is false advertising and in violation of S29 of the CPA:

General standards for marketing of goods or services
29. A producer, importer, distributor, retailer or service provider must not market any goods or services—
(a) in a manner that is reasonably likely to imply a false or misleading representation concerning those goods or services; or
(b) in a manner that is misleading, fraudulent or deceptive in any way

Penalties
111. (1) Any person convicted of an offence in terms of this Act is liable—
(a) in the case of a contravention of section 107 (1), to a fine or to imprisonment for a period not exceeding 10 years, or to both a fine and imprisonment; or
(b) in any other case, to a fine or to imprisonment for a period not exceeding 12 months, or to both a fine and imprisonment.
(2) Despite anything to the contrary contained in any other law, a Magistrate’s Court has jurisdiction to impose any penalty provided for in subsection (1).

Administrative fines
112. (1) The Tribunal may impose an administrative fine in respect of prohibited or required conduct.
(2) An administrative fine imposed in terms of this Act may not exceed the greater of—
(a) 10 per cent of the respondent’s annual turnover during the preceding financial year; or
(b) R1 000 000

Totempole

Expert Member
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I just got one of these "R10,000" vouchers with a R550 prepaid phone. So the OP really did get screwed.

scudsucker

Executive Member
Great was my surprise when I noticed some subjects are only available from grades 11 - 12, whereas the voucher clearly states "This voucher gives you access to ALL grades from 4-12"

So we can logically deduce that not only has "Captain Justice" been served an ironic injustice, but he's also only in Grade 10 or below.

That may explain a thing or two about his "Justice" campaigns.

So we can logically deduce that not only has "Captain Justice" been served an ironic injustice, but he's also only in Grade 10 or below.

That may explain a thing or two about his "Justice" campaigns.

I can see why the good Lord didn't grant you children. He don't make the same mistake twice!

Go suck on a scud!

StangV2_0

Not trying to take anything here from Captain America.. but..

I just tried to register on the site. Got told my email address isn't valid. Strange since it works on any other account I have.

So I clicked on contact us to inform them..

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1417539156707.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417539156707.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 10,062

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
I just tried to register on the site. Got told my email address isn't valid. Strange since it works on any other account I have.

So I clicked on contact us to inform them..
What is your email address? Anything unusual about it?