Vodacom vs MTN vs Telkom vs Cell C - Best mobile data prices in South Africa

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Best mobile data prices in South Africa

Data prices have dropped following the Competition Commission's ruling in 2019 that South African network operators have room to slash data prices by 30% to 50%, and Cell C now offers the best value for money prepaid mobile data in the market.

While operators offer cheaper data bundles with shorter expiry windows, the Competition Commission was interested in getting cellular operators to cut prices on their monthly and 30-day bundles.

One of the Commission's aims was to reduce the gap in per-megabyte pricing between larger and smaller data bundles in an effort to make data more affordable for poorer consumers.

By all accounts, the Commission's negotiations with Vodacom and MTN were a success, though the networks said their price reductions will only be sustainable if they receive additional radio frequency spectrum.

genetic

Honorary Master
Telkom used to be the cheapest, but it seems now that Cell C is way cheaper than Telkom.

Better yet, Cell C now roams on Vodacom and MTN's network. I'm glad I haven't ported away from Cell C. :p

Dups!

Expert Member
I always found Cell C cheaper than the others, Telkom included.

Swa

Honorary Master
I always found Cell C cheaper than the others, Telkom included.
Especially if you consider the validity periods. Telkom's expiry dates meant you couldn't really buy the larger bundles.

nicroets

Note that the Telkom Smart Wireless Prepaid price plan is not included here. A Telkom sim can be configured to switch between, so you can use it as a mobile solution.

With Telkom you can also transfer a lot of data between Sims.

That said, these new Cell C fixed LTE bundles are good value and I will buy one later today.

ronz91

Expert Member
Cell C 50GB+50GB for R500 is a good deal but sometimes network speed is slow