Vodacom warns some areas could face total network blackouts in stage 5+ power cuts

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
South Africa could face network blackouts thanks to Eskom power cuts

South Africa's biggest mobile operators — Vodacom and MTN — are fighting to keep their networks online during stage 5 and 6 load-shedding, with Vodacom saying some areas risk total coverage blackouts.

The companies are battling battery theft at their towers and high fuel costs as they try to keep their networks up through ongoing rotational power cuts.

That headline should be changed from "could face" to "is already facing". My area in Cape Town has zero cellphone signal across all networks during loadshedding. We're only served by 1 cellphone tower that all the networks use, and it's pretty obvious that they have just given up trying to keep the tower up during loadshedding. Thanks goodness our fibre still works during loadshedding otherwise we would literally have no way of contacting anyone in an emergency.

The Telkom service where I live already cannot keep mobile data on long enough for even 2 hour slots, nevermind the 4 hour slots.

Its *already* a FU.
Vumatel went off in our greater area Friday last week - suspect due to the 20 hour power outage.
Came back on a few minutes after the power was restored so either coincidence or batteries failed.

The Telkom service where I live already cannot keep mobile data on long enough for even 2 hour slots, nevermind the 4 hour slots.
Mtn where I used to live was completely offline during loadshedding. Suppose batteries are shot. Makes WFH impossible

I am offline on my Cell C phone after 2 hours here on the South Coast. No network at all. Guess that's how long their batteries last.

Vodacom luckily stays up for 4 hours.

So far...

Back