Vodacom Wifi Calling on Galaxy S20

recre8

Has anyone managed to get Wifi Calling to work on a Samsung Galaxy S20 on Vodacom contract? My friend has pretty bad signal where he lives. My iPhone shows "VoWIFI" next to the carrier name when I'm there. But I just can't get my friend's S20 to perform a Wifi call.
  • Settings > Connections > Wifi Calling = ON
  • Vodacom call center and vodacom shop both provisioned VoLTE and Wifi Calling several times and confirmed that from their side all is correctly configured.
  • Calls to his phone are still either dropped or not connected when on Wifi and cellular signal is bad.
  • Not a wifi issue, since my iPhone can make and receive calls on the same Wifi network with zero cellular signal.
Is there any indicator in the status bar of a Galaxy that shows whether the call is routed over Wifi? Any advice that I can try?

isie

Honorary Master
Has anyone managed to get Wifi Calling to work on a Samsung Galaxy S20 on Vodacom contract? My friend has pretty bad signal where he lives. My iPhone shows "VoWIFI" next to the carrier name when I'm there. But I just can't get my friend's S20 to perform a Wifi call.
  • Settings > Connections > Wifi Calling = ON
  • Vodacom call center and vodacom shop both provisioned VoLTE and Wifi Calling several times and confirmed that from their side all is correctly configured.
  • Calls to his phone are still either dropped or not connected when on Wifi and cellular signal is bad.
  • Not a wifi issue, since my iPhone can make and receive calls on the same Wifi network with zero cellular signal.
Is there any indicator in the status bar of a Galaxy that shows whether the call is routed over Wifi? Any advice that I can try?
Is there a VOWiFi log on the status bar?
, my experience with vodacom we had to call and complain a few times before it was actually activated ,(samsung A51) even though they said it was numerous times , finally had a friend on vodacom confirm her phone showed VOWiFi then Finally a person who actually did their job called and flat out said , I have no idea what theses people are talking about it is not activated , sorted it out and finally it was working

recre8

Is there a VOWiFi log on the status bar?
, my experience with vodacom we had to call and complain a few times before it was actually activated ,(samsung A51) even though they said it was numerous times , finally had a friend on vodacom confirm her phone showed VOWiFi then Finally a person who actually did their job called and flat out said , I have no idea what theses people are talking about it is not activated , sorted it out and finally it was working
I know exactly what you mean: one consultant kept confusing whatsapp calling and wifi calling. Just to check, you say the "VoWIFI" will appear somwhere when it's working? Is this in the status bar area?

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Easy test. Switch the phone to to LTE and check if the Volte sign comes up next to your signal bar. If not, it means your Volte is not provisioned, and if that is not provisioned, then VoWiFi wont work either as they work hand in hand on Vodacom. There is a thread where I explained to a peep exactly what to tell the shop agent what to do on the system. Look for it and go into a store. It will sort you out.

recre8

@Ockie Thanks for the help. Just checked, it seems VoLTE isnt properly provisioned. I searched for the thread you mentioned but can’t find it... any chance you have a link to the post?

isie

Honorary Master
I know exactly what you mean: one consultant kept confusing whatsapp calling and wifi calling. Just to check, you say the "VoWIFI" will appear somwhere when it's working? Is this in the status bar area?
Im not sure if the s20 uses the same icons at the top by the signal strength
but this is from the A51
VoLTE and VoWiFi on
1593718491411.png

and this is from an A51 with VoLTE on but VoWifi off
1593718926447.png

notice the slight difference the sideways wifi signal bar

recre8

Hmmm his phone only shows a 4G icon, not the VoLTE icon. Ugh, I'm really struggling with Vodacom. Even their community support forum is broken. Can't login. I am really starting to get the impression vodacom's system are so ancient everything barely holds together

isie

Honorary Master
Hmmm his phone only shows a 4G icon, not the VoLTE icon. Ugh, I'm really struggling with Vodacom. Even their community support forum is broken. Can't login. I am really starting to get the impression vodacom's system are so ancient everything barely holds together
I tried social media and one agent insisted the phone isn't supported on their network (hence i had to check if any of my friends had the same phone on vodacom) it is seriously ridiculous, and it's not only on Vodacom I have issues with MTN on VoLTE (they don't even support VoWiFi) and Friends on CellC had similar issues.
Why is it so Hard just to ensure every customers Sim has this activated and you support all the phones. its crazy.